CCOM vs VCOM (Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc101

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some help choosing a DO medical school for next year. I am fortunate to have multiple acceptances at the moment and I have narrowed my options down to two schools: CCOM and VCOM (Virginia campus). However, I am having difficulty choosing the between the schools and I have a little over one month left to make a deposit. I was hoping to receive some advice or feedback from anyone with some insight.

From what I've gathered so far it seems that CCOM has a solid reputation and potentially better chances at matching into a specialty non-primary care. As I am currently undecided this is appealing to me. VCOM (Virginia) on the other hand is closer to home and significantly cheaper over the course of the four years.

Both school have good match rates and good board scores.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Oo hard pick. CCOM is super established and has a really great reputation, but very overpriced.

Financially, unless you do want to go into a specific and harder speciality, I would go with VCOM. A DO school is a DO school after all, and charging near 100k for CCOM is seriously insane.

Reactions: 1 user
As a recent grad of CCOM, I have to say make the decision based off of quality of rotation. As much as I hated the tuition, i am glad I got to go and rotate at the sites I have. It has prepared me well for residency and I’ve gotten nothing but positive feedback about my work in comparison to some of my peers

Reactions: 1 user
As a recent grad of CCOM, I have to say make the decision based off of quality of rotation. As much as I hated the tuition, i am glad I got to go and rotate at the sites I have. It has prepared me well for residency and I’ve gotten nothing but positive feedback about my work in comparison to some of my peers
Do you mind if I ask how you did your clinical elective rotations? Like when you were choosing electives was it easy to get what you wanted and was CCOM able to help you get the rotations you wanted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oo hard pick. CCOM is super established and has a really great reputation, but very overpriced.

Financially, unless you do want to go into a specific and harder speciality, I would go with VCOM. A DO school is a DO school after all, and charging near 100k for CCOM is seriously insane.
Yeah the cost is definitely something I am considering and I want to know if the cost is worth it in the long run because I’d be saving roughly 20k per year at VCOM, which is no small amount.

Do you mind if I ask how you did your clinical elective rotations? Like when you were choosing electives was it easy to get what you wanted and was CCOM able to help you get the rotations you wanted?
4th yr elective rotations are done through vsas. Schools don’t really have any pull if I remember correctly