SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

CCOM, Where to live???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by EricOH, Jan 4, 2002.

1. EricOH

EricOH Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey CCOM students,

I am going to be attending CCOM this fall and was wondering about housing. Any advice? The best place for your money?

I am thinking of the on-campus apartments. How are they? Expensive? Would it be the same price as living off campus? And what do you think of the Dorms and LLC?

Thanks a bunch!! Stay warm! :cool:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. EricOH

Jun 25, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone at CCOM??

Please answer. Thanks a ton!

4. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hi EricOH, have you seen the on-campus apartments during your campus tour? I didn't get a chance to tour the apartments but I did catch a glimpse of them while I was driving throughout the campus. Honestly, they looked *really* old and they are quite far from the rest of the campus. The older dorms are okay but I think they don't have air conditioning available and you need to share your room with another person. It seems like the LLC dorms are the most popular choice for on-campus housing. You get a small single room that includes a bathroom that is shared with your suitemate, the person who is living next to your room. I think you also get a few extras, such as cable, ethernet connections, and air conditioning. During my campus tour, some people were happy with the LLC dorms and some felt that the rooms were kinda small. I didn't think that this was a problem because you are free to roam around the campus if you feel a bit isolated from the rest of the world, it's conveniently located near all the classes, and it allows you to have privacy when you need it. Well, hope this helps. :D

5. EricOH

Jun 25, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Wasabi,

How you doing?

During the school tour, we did go into one of the rooms of the LLC. It was indeed small. But I guess it is really just a place to sleep. I didn't know they had those luxuries...cable/ethernet/A/C? That would be nice.

I was also wondering about food. Do most students just buy food everyday then? Because with an apartment it would be nice to cook (if there's time ;-) )

Oh yeah, how far were the apartments? Were they still in walking distance?

Thanks a bunch!

6. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 7, 1999
    I lived off campus in Lisle (about 15 min drive) for the first two years and then moved east to Oak Park for years three and four. There are affordable apartments for rent within a 10 to 20 drive of campus.

7. EricOH

Jun 25, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey jdaasbo,

Thanks for the info! How much was rent (for both places)? Single/Double?

Thanks again!!

8. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Living on campus is a great way to meet a lot of people which can be hard to do if you're by yourself somewhere off campus.

9. doatc

doatc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Lake Bluff, IL, USA
    Here is a good resource:

<a href="http://www.relconapartments.com/" target="_blank">http://www.relconapartments.com/</a>

I also lived off campus for all four years.

Hope this helps,

Bill
    M4 CCOM

10. bigmomma

bigmomma New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    chicago
    Hi Eric
    I live off campus in an apartment about 5 minutes from school. I really like living off campus and haven't had any trouble meeting people or feeling included. I'm a pretty outgoing person though and can see how it might be difficult to make friends if you are shy. LOTS OF PEOPLE LIVE IN APARTMENTS. I love being able to get away for awhile and feel more like an adult than a college kid.
    The only downfall is that I can't take a nap whenever I want unless I crash in a friends bed :)

11. EricOH

Jun 25, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you so very much everyone!!

I really appreciate all of the info. One more thing, what is the rent for these apartments?

Thanks a ton!

12. bigmomma

bigmomma New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    chicago
    I pay $765 for a one bedroom. Two bedrooms are obviously much cheaper and in my opinion the way to go.

13. Curly

Curly Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2001
    From MI
    Eric,
    The on-campus apartments are not very far away, definitely within walking distance. I don't know much about on-campus living, so I can't help you there, since I am off-campus.
    I live in the same apartment complex as bigmomma, and rent is actually a bit cheaper if you mention that you are a student at CCOM. I pay $746/mo for a 1 bedroom, so a 2BR would definitely be the cheaper way to go. I have to agree that it is nice to be able to go home to an apartment instead of a dorm. You don't really have to worry about meeting people, because you are pretty much on campus most of the day anyway, so you'll make lots of friends. It's worth the extra money to get off campus at the end of the day!

14. Wasabi

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    Does anyone know how the on-campus apartments compare to the LLC dorm rooms? I called yesterday to see if I could have a tour of the on-campus apartments, but it seems like there are no rooms available for viewing..

15. Gator

Gator Member 7+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Texas
    I have a question about on campus housing. When do we (who are starting Fall 2002) start signing up for housing/room and board? Also, I would like to hear any advice from CCOM students on what to do before starting in the Fall.
    Thanks,
    Gator

16. Wasabi

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hi, have you requested an housing application yet? Do so and you should receive one in the next few weeks.

17. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1 10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gator:
    <strong>I have a question about on campus housing. When do we (who are starting Fall 2002) start signing up for housing/room and board? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mary Wilson, the Manager of Residential Life, does not have the applications for next year (Fall 2002) out yet for any of us, not just for the incoming students. It should be out soon though. She should send you an application and information in the mail.

18. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2001
    columbus, oh
    Hey Dagny, was your white coat ceremony a big deal? do students invite thier families to it?

19. Dagny

Some students did invite family to the white coat ceremony. There seemed to be a lot of family there. We even noticed some of our professors sitting up at the top of the room.

Our white coat ceremony was not as formal as past ceremonies in that our families were not sent invitations to attend. We also received short notice about the exact date, which was unfortunate for us whose families are out-of-town. Maybe it will be different for your class, since our class had the first run at the new approach to the white coat ceremony.

The Dean gave a speech before-hand, and then each row about to be announced stood up. Then one CCOM student, and one student from each of the other schools were announced so that three of us went down at a time to have our white coat put on by three different people.

About a handful of students did not attend, but most did. Those of us that attended treated it formal enough to dress up nicely.

20. grkbuckeye

Dec 12, 2001
    columbus, oh
    Thanks Dagny. did they have it during orientation or after school started?

21. Gator

Gator Member 7+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Texas
    Thanks for the housing information. I sent in the postcard for more information.

22. Dagny

The white coat ceremony was a few weeks after orientation week, sometime in middle or late September.

23. Wasabi

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hi all, has anyone received information about housing yet? :)

24. Nutella

Nutella Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2001
    I haven't heard anything yet about housing. I sent out my info request card at the beginning on last month. We should be hearing shortly, right?

25. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2001
    when is the second deposit due??

26. Wasabi

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by realruby2000:
    <strong>when is the second deposit due??</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine's due March 15th.

27. grkbuckeye

Dec 12, 2001
    columbus, oh
    Mine is also due on March 15th. whats up with a $2000 deposite!! what happened to $250 will hold your seat until summer. at leats this is what most medschools do!

28. EricOH

Jun 25, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey all,

My 2nd deposit is also due March 15. Ouch $$

Also, I think the housing people were supposed to send out the housing info on Monday this week. But still haven't received anything. Oh well.

29. Dagny

No one is behind in their housing application. Even those of us here at school have NOT received information about housing for next year yet. I saw the packages being compiled in the office of residential life, so they should be arriving very shortly.

The deposits are painful, but at least they are not donated, and instead will be applied to your tuition.

30. grkbuckeye

Dec 12, 2001
    columbus, oh
    This is totally off the subject, but are they anal about having all your immunization stuff done on time? The Hep series taked 6 months! i take it you don't have to have it completed to start?

31. Dagny

Immunization records were not fun. Memories of repeating titers and explaining the difference between quantitative titers vs. qualitative titers come to mind.

If you don't get the immunizations and titers complete by orientation, you will get them done at the health center at CCOM for a fee. You can however fulfill their requirements if get them done somewhere else earlier (preferably cheaper than CCOM), or have had them done before and can document it.

So it's okay if you do not get them done by the time school starts.

32. grkbuckeye

Dec 12, 2001
    columbus, oh
    thanks. i'm definetly gonna take advantage of a family doc in chicago and get that sh$t done for free!

33. Wasabi

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    Cool, I just received the housing application. Everyone else should be finding it in their mailboxes shortly.