This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveme

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
CCS is considered very important for passing Step 3. Despite this, most of us do not place enough emphasis on this. There are so many things we do not notice on software because of not knowing or not practicing enough. Often what our mind does not know, our eyes do not see. I am starting this thread hoping to have a dynamic discussion on CCS to keep myself involved and updated. Most strategies posted here are from my own understanding and what I gathered from going through ********** videos and Step 3 online forums.
Please feel free to contribute to this thread.

CCS tip #1
Anything that you manually type in to the blank box is not picked up and scored by software.
1. Diagnosis is not scored
2. Reason for consultation that you type in the box is not scored but you must state reason for consultation by selecting and placing an order

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
questions

when you send a patient home. UWorld has you send them for f/u in a week but test results come back sooner than that. if test results take 3 days can you just have them f/u in 3 days rather than a week?

also when do you place ER orders for a pt in the ER... for ex the case 7 in uworld. guy with pre-renal azotemia presents with AMS... UWorld has you do the PE first. But starting with iv access, nss, pulse ox monitor and so forth makes more sense to me.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
CCS is considered very important for passing Step 3. Despite this, most of us do not place enough emphasis on this. There are so many things we do not notice on software because of not knowing or not practicing enough. Often what our mind does not know, our eyes do not see. I am starting this thread hoping to have a dynamic discussion on CCS to keep myself involved and updated. Most strategies posted here are from my own understanding and what I gathered from going through ********** videos and Step 3 online forums.
Please feel free to contribute to this thread.

CCS tip #1
Anything that you manually type in to the blank box is not picked up and scored by software.
1. Diagnosis is not scored
2. Reason for consultation that you type in the box is not scored but you must state reason for consultation by selecting and placing an order

Mnemonic I used in the Exam:
Emergency orders----> POCIVES - BANGA
-Pulse ox, Oxygen, Cardiac mon, IVA, Vitalsq4, ECG or Elevate head, Saline
(ecg for cardiac related, and elevate head for COPD/asthma related)
-BP mon, Asa 81mg, Nitro, Glucometer, Antidote (D5W, Thiamine, Antidote)

Stat/Routine----> CCPUE - LFTTS - ICU - PAXIE
-Cbcq24, Cmpq24, Pregnancy, UA, Enzymesq6/ESR
-Lipid/LFT/Lipase, FOBT(always b4 Heparin), TSH, Toxicology, Stool study
-Iron/Immune assay, Cultures (Bcx, Ucx, CSF), Ultrasound
-PEFRq2, ABGq2, Xray, Imaging (CT, MRI, Colonoscopy, Sigmoid), ECHO

Pre-op orders----> NISBUN - PAPTICE - Con & Coun
-Npo, Iva, Saline, Bed rest, Urine output, NG tube
-PTT/PT, Abx (Cefazoline in most cases), PPI, Type&cross, Imaging (for metastasis), Cancer markers, Elevate leg/head
-Consult specialty and Counsel on cancer dx

Final orders-----> CC-MSV
-Cancel emergency orders / Change IV to PO
-Counsel (everything)
-Monitoring (PTT/cbc for Heparin, LFT for certain meds etc)
-Screening (Colon, Breast, HPV)
-Vaccine (Pneumo, Flu and/or others)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how to deal with the following:
ordering say, Lipid panel for a pt with hypertension- results will be available on day 3. Case ends before that. In the final orders I still have that Lipid panel pending. Do cancel it? Do I prescribe statin empirically?

Similarly, if I admit a pt to inpatient and order cultures and the case ends before that b/c the pt has something non-infectious and the cultures are still pending on my final list do I cancel them?

Generally, is it better to over-order labs? FOr example, a pt with AMS and I think I know it's caused by a non infectious etiology but I still order blood and urine cultures? Or should I only order the bare minimums?

Also, which vaccines do you guys typically give at the end? I have been doing Tdap and flu for almost everyone and shingles for the older pts.

Members don't see this ad :)
questions

when you send a patient home. UWorld has you send them for f/u in a week but test results come back sooner than that. if test results take 3 days can you just have them f/u in 3 days rather than a week?

also when do you place ER orders for a pt in the ER... for ex the case 7 in uworld. guy with pre-renal azotemia presents with AMS... UWorld has you do the PE first. But starting with iv access, nss, pulse ox monitor and so forth makes more sense to me.

Thanks

@CGB1078 Once again, like we previously discussed in this thread, uworld software has not been updated for a decade and does not reflect Primum exam software that you can download from www.usmle.org . Uworld also has fairly significant errors in many cases in sequencing, unnecessary counseling, monitoring and unnecessary orders.

1) Yes, on exam, you can check the report time for each order and set up a follow-up appointment just after that report time. You just go to the calendar option and select whatever date you want the follow up date to fall on.

2) If the vitals are unstable or if the patient has altered mental status, ********** recommends going to order sheet first and make sure you have "stabilizing orders" in place before proceeding to physical exam. If someone is grossly confused, putting in minimum orders such as Oxy, vitals, cardiac monitor, neurochecks , suction airway ( to protect from secretions in AMS case) and then going to focused exam is desirable. On exam, they will not right away give you that there is "pre-renal azotemia "and you will not have that clue until you examine and get some labs back. On the exam, if lungs are clear and patient seems dehydrated, you may proceed with NSS. But overall, like Archer recommends for all AMS cases, placing that initial order for "NEUROCHECKS" running in the background will help you the most with regard to monitoring. This is important to know whether the AMS is quickly reversible or taking a long time to reverse. In cases like Hypoglycemia, Opiod intoxication, AMS may be quickly reversible with measures like dextrose and narcan respectively. In dehydration and azotemia, it may reverse quickly with IV fluids. Neurochecks will auto-update you on that progress while you advance the clock. If neurocjecks do not show improvement after initial measures, take care of the airway and you may have to intubate for airway protection in cases of AMS/coma that can not be reversed quickly.

Does anyone know how to deal with the following:
ordering say, Lipid panel for a pt with hypertension- results will be available on day 3. Case ends before that. In the final orders I still have that Lipid panel pending. Do cancel it? Do I prescribe statin empirically?

Similarly, if I admit a pt to inpatient and order cultures and the case ends before that b/c the pt has something non-infectious and the cultures are still pending on my final list do I cancel them?

Generally, is it better to over-order labs? FOr example, a pt with AMS and I think I know it's caused by a non infectious etiology but I still order blood and urine cultures? Or should I only order the bare minimums?

Also, which vaccines do you guys typically give at the end? I have been doing Tdap and flu for almost everyone and shingles for the older pts.

@Creed_Bratton
1. It is very important to act based on the simulated time. Simulated time is the time since you first evaluated the patient on CCS software. As per what I understood from **********, many people have failed CCS component because of misunderstanding the "simulated time" concept and prematurely discontinuing the orders once they reach 2-min screen. Two-min screen is meant to review the orders, add any orders that were missing and to set up follow-up monitoring tests in future. These follow up tests that are done to monitor efficacy and toxicity of intervention are scored.
You would not prescribe statin empirically unless you have the lipid panel back. Lipid panel will be considered valid and scored only if you leave it on order sheet until that report time is reached and order executed. If report time is not reached, and you end up on 2-min screen, leave it alone and set up a follow up appointment for patient after the lipid panel report time ( select date of follow up from calendar on the 2-min screen).

2. Same as point #1. Watch the simulated time and report time of the order and leave them there. Reaching 2-min screen does not mean patient is being discharged so why would you discontinue the orders? Discontinuing before they are executed them means you felt they are not necessary and therefore, you will not receive credit for it ( simulated time is a point time in patient's life and you manage based on that). If you really feel the order is not necessary, you may cancel. However, note you will not be penalized for ordering just some extra labs tests.
Here is a free sample of Archer that I found on YouTube:

3. Cost is not an issue on STEP 3 CCS. Invasiveness is! As mentioned in **********, "you will be penalized if you order unnecessary, invasive test like cardiac cath etc in a patient that does not need it. You will not get a negative score if you ordered extra lab tests which are non-invasive even if they are felt to be unnecessary, in retrospect.

4. This is one of the important questions lot of people keep asking. I think this has become a norm for many people to add vaccines because they got this info from uworld when case-end screen used to allow 5-min luxury time years ago. Case end screen changed to 2-minutes a few years ago and uworld still gives incorrect information to do routine screening, vaccines etc on 2-min screens. They have incorrectly fed us the input that these are scored, no they are not. On step 3 USMLE website, they as you to place orders on 2-min screen pertinent to current scenario/ problem. On a 2-min screen, you really DO NOT have much time! If you end up doing routine counseling, you will not have time for crucial orders and essential orders. In Archer videos, I have seen him talking about how many people fail to do necessary things on 2-min screen by focusing on this routine orders like vaccines etc which are not meant for an active inpatient case with other acute problems. Archer review mentions most scored components on 2-min screen are "follow-up monitoring" tests which can be ordered after selecting the "later" option and calendar date. Follow up monitoring is important to check if your intervention worked or if your intervention had toxic effects ( for example, when you start statin, check Lipid panel in a month - here you are monitoring efficacy. Orders LFTs in 3 months by choosing later date where you are monitoring for statin toxicity. These are ACC guidelines). These take time. Remember you can order "LATER" tests only on 2-min screen and not on active screen. To meet the guidelines, you have to order them at certain time intervals. Your 2-min is used for this crucial purpose, not for counseling patients to wear a seatbelt or adding a tDAP vaccine. Archer enumerates some examples to illustrate how only case-specific counseling and case-specific vaccines is scored on the exam. Case-specific counseling means the type of counseling that matters and makes an impact in managing that case. These include 1. sexual partner needs treatment in a trichomonas case. If you do not do that, your patient risks re-infection 2. Diabetic related counseling in new DM cases or poorly controlled DM cases where counseling matters in achieving good patient outcomes- types of counseling are highly scored, but not routine counseling. Also, adding pneumonia vaccine in COPD patients and pneumonia cases on 2-min screen is important, not for all cases. For a wel-health checkup that shows up in office, you can add all screening orders and vaccines, but do not waste your precious time on these in inpatient/ ED acute presentations. All the best!

@CGB1078 Once again, like we previously discussed in this thread, uworld software has not been updated for a decade and does not reflect Primum exam software that you can download from www.usmle.org . Uworld also has fairly significant errors in many cases in sequencing, unnecessary counseling, monitoring and unnecessary orders.

1) Yes, on exam, you can check the report time for each order and set up a follow-up appointment just after that report time. You just go to the calendar option and select whatever date you want the follow up date to fall on.

2) If the vitals are unstable or if the patient has altered mental status, ********** recommends going to order sheet first and make sure you have "stabilizing orders" in place before proceeding to physical exam. If someone is grossly confused, putting in minimum orders such as Oxy, vitals, cardiac monitor, neurochecks , suction airway ( to protect from secretions in AMS case) and then going to focused exam is desirable. On exam, they will not right away give you that there is "pre-renal azotemia "and you will not have that clue until you examine and get some labs back. On the exam, if lungs are clear and patient seems dehydrated, you may proceed with NSS. But overall, like Archer recommends for all AMS cases, placing that initial order for "NEUROCHECKS" running in the background will help you the most with regard to monitoring. This is important to know whether the AMS is quickly reversible or taking a long time to reverse. In cases like Hypoglycemia, Opiod intoxication, AMS may be quickly reversible with measures like dextrose and narcan respectively. In dehydration and azotemia, it may reverse quickly with IV fluids. Neurochecks will auto-update you on that progress while you advance the clock. If neurocjecks do not show improvement after initial measures, take care of the airway and you may have to intubate for airway protection in cases of AMS/coma that can not be reversed quickly.

thank you for clearing that up. also i have been using the "call me as needed" function. I do have my eye on the simulated time and any changes in the labs. as long as i do that, can i use call me as needed button? thanks!

thank you for clearing that up. also i have been using the "call me as needed" function. I do have my eye on the simulated time and any changes in the labs. as long as i do that, can i use call me as needed button? thanks!

I think ordering TSH etc, even if its clearly not needed, is not going to get you marked down. But the following feedback from the official ccs cases clearly states that ordering anything that will delay treatment is not good. So if you order TSH, it will eat up few minutes before you see the results even if TSH is not needed. Will that get us marked down? I doubt it but can't be sure.

In the highlighted portion, they use ABG and an EKG as being excessive. May be order EKG after needle and chest tube?

Attachments

• CCS.png
    CCS.png
    403.1 KB · Views: 214
I think ordering TSH etc, even if its clearly not needed, is not going to get you marked down. But the following feedback from the official ccs cases clearly states that ordering anything that will delay treatment is not good. So if you order TSH, it will eat up few minutes before you see the results even if TSH is not needed. Will that get us marked down? I doubt it but can't be sure.

In the highlighted portion, they use ABG and an EKG as being excessive. May be order EKG after needle and chest tube?

I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking if we could use the "call me as needed" button to advance the clock instead of having to hit the "next available labs"button. it just saves more time that way. what do you think @steveme

I just tried these cases and saw this feedback.
So I am wondering, if I order ecg or tsh or whatever, does it necessarily have to delay my treatment? I put a bunch of initial orders in at the same time, then either do physical exam (if first set of orders was emergent) or advance time to the completion of my most important order. Then treat.
If the TSH/ecg/whatever originally ordered with everything else is still pending how does it delay my timing?
The way I understood it is it will be marked down if I wait till that tsh result to treat a more acute problem?

in this particular case guy with severe chest pain, I did order "emergent" set including pulse ox, monitors and ecg, but treated him appropriately before the tests resulted, so Idk, do you guys think that would be a problem?

I just tried these cases and saw this feedback.
So I am wondering, if I order ecg or tsh or whatever, does it necessarily have to delay my treatment? I put a bunch of initial orders in at the same time, then either do physical exam (if first set of orders was emergent) or advance time to the completion of my most important order. Then treat.
If the TSH/ecg/whatever originally ordered with everything else is still pending how does it delay my timing?
The way I understood it is it will be marked down if I wait till that tsh result to treat a more acute problem?

in this particular case guy with severe chest pain, I did order "emergent" set including pulse ox, monitors and ecg, but treated him appropriately before the tests resulted, so Idk, do you guys think that would be a problem?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. In chest pain ( you need an EKG, troponin) and you begin with the following @ 9 am " CBC, BMP, ESR, TSH" then advance the clock and now time is 920 am and now you order EKG and Troponin, that will cost you points because you delayed EKG and troponin by 20 minutes without a good reason.

If you order @ 9am "CBC, BMP, ESR, TSH, EKG, Troponin " that "should" be fine because you ordered all the necessary stuff without delaying EKG and troponin . May be I am overthinking it?

Yes, because after each test result pops up, you have an option "continue" or "Stop the clock." So the clock is fully under your control as long as you are vigilant and attentive to the results that may need immediate attention.

Which practice material is good? Like Uworld SA 1 and 2? Would you recommend to do NBME?

Both UWSA and NBME are not predictive of pass/ fail on Step 3 ( unlike STep 2 and Step 1) - this is because CCS constitutes up to 25% of the score and considerably, alters this prediction which is only based on your MCQ performance. NBME is much more predictive but UWSA for step 3 is pretty much useless. If someone scored 300 and above on NBME, they may need just above average performance on CCS to pass. When someone scores 220 and above in NBME but scored very high on CCS, they were still able to pass according to this article:- What predicts USMLE Step 3 performance?

All the above questions are kind of asking the same. So I decided to quote them together. But please feel free to ask if I missed anything.
Absolutely. You should never advance the clock to the report time of these non-urgent tests until we have addressed the more life-threatening issues. I have seen ********** using this same FRED CCS exam software to demonstrate the cases. There is never an issue where you will jump to non-essential order report times because the clock is under your control. So when your early tests showed some threatening findings, they get addressed first before you go to report times of ABGs, EKG.
Say, for example, you have this pneumothorax case that you strongly suspect based on physical exam findings of absent breath sounds. You ordered a CXR, EKG, ABGs, etc., as a part of the initial order panel ....please note that all that report times are different and are not shown until 15 to 30 mins after ordering. So order itself does not delay it...only advancing the clock to those report time advances the "simulated" ( patient) time. So, in this case, even if you ordered all these additional tests, you must ( based on physical findings) order needle thoracentesis to provide immediate relief. That takes only 5 to 10 mins, and as you advance the clock, all other results come up. This is perfectly fine because you are not delaying the intervention. On the contrary, if you waited (i.e., advanced the clock) until EKG, etc., results are shown here before you intervened with the needle thoracentesis, you get penalized. It is all about whether you have enough information to act ASAP in a life-threatening case. For perfecting these, you may do the ********** course, and it shows many more cases, I think the intense prep has about 80 cases.
Best wishes!

I think that's what I was trying to point out that as long as its ordered at the same time, it's fine.