CE question - Odyssey or Osler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Cookie Pants

Hopefully on bypass
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about CE. Scheduled in March. I hear great things from one attending who SWEARS by Odyssey. Most swear by Osler.

Pros/cons

Odyssey
6 weeks before (I like the thought of that)
more hands on
intense/in face
$3000

Osler
larger sample size
4 days before
$900

I just want to pass. If $3000 is what it takes, then so be it. Do not want to be making this post next year. A former GS attending who swears by odyssey wants me to take that course then do video sessions with him, so I'd have a private tutor. Osler makes me a bit worried as it is the weekend of the test. But most seem to do fine with it.

Also, I'm doing a non GS fellowship so I havent been in a ton of GS scenarios in a bit.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about CE. Scheduled in March. I hear great things from one attending who SWEARS by Odyssey. Most swear by Osler.

Pros/cons

Odyssey
more hands on
intense/in face
$3000

Osler
larger sample size
4 days before
$900

I just want to pass. If $3000 is what it takes, then so be it. Do not want to be making this post next year. A former GS attending who swears by odyssey wants me to take that course then do video sessions with him, so I'd have a private tutor. Osler makes me a bit worried as it is the weekend of the test. But most seem to do fine with it.

Also, I'm doing a non GS fellowship so I havent been in a ton of GS scenarios in a bit.

Thanks
I honestly think the time you spend practicing with your colleagues is the best preparation. I read Dimick and did that. A course is to me like the final summation of high yield strategy for the test.

Reactions: 1 user

Pros/cons

Odyssey
more hands on
intense/in face
$3000

Osler
larger sample size
4 days before
$900

Thanks

The CE is pass/fail, not graded AFAIK.

I did Osler and while I was nervous about it being right before the test, it was actually great timing. First, I'd done most of my studying and was at the point of just needing practice. They basically just do scenario after scenario for those few days but it really got me focused on question-answer and not overthinking it. I talked to someone who did Odyssey and felt like they weren't as prepared at the time of that course and didn't get as much out of it as a result. Second, it boosted my confidence but gave me a few target areas to brush up on. You will see/hear BAD answers and learn to avoid them, as well as get a good sense of how "far" a question will go. Cases felt shorter/more patterned after doing the course, which made it easier to get through them. Plus I realized that as paranoid as I was about passing, there were others in the course who were definitely in way over their heads. While that sounds terrible, it was also a bit of a relief that I was better prepared than I'd thought. Third, it helped me to stay calm with questions rather than panic if I didn't know an answer immediately, and reason through it.

The timing of the course essentially ensured I was still in the right mode because it was fresh and I didn't have time to have the course tips fade from memory or for anyone to coach me differently (for good or bad).

FWIW, I did not have anyone to practice with leading up to the course. My impression (whether or not correct) is that most people do Osler if they do a course, as it's cheaper and a good program. If you fail, I was told to take Odyssey and Osler the next time around.

Reactions: 1 user