Cell and Molecular Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greniedgal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a question about classes and the premed dept at my college is basically nonexistant. (I'm a postbac student finishing up my sciences at a local community college to save some cash.) Plus I'd rather have all of your opinions!!!!
Ok here's my dilemma:
I have already taken some bio courses:
bio 109 Anatomy and Phys 1, 4 credits
bio 110 Anatomy and Phys 2, 4 credits

Now...I am trying to plan my schedule for the next two semesters so I can take the April MCAT's. As of now I have:
Phys 111, 4 credits
OChem 221, 5 credits
and...
My problem lies with Bio. I am also currently registered for Bio 124 Cell and Molecular Bio. I think this class would help me with the MCAT's from what people are saying but I'm worried that although I will have had 12 credits in biological science, adcoms will think I haven't fulfilled the "general bio" prereq. Do you recommend me dropping this and taking general? (I just HATE to register for "what is a cell..") I'm thinking I should though just to cover all the basics. I've consulted the AAMC book but every med school is different and when I contact them they tell me to ask my premed dept!! *urgh*
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure I understand your question...are you saying you should take general bio to fulfill the bio prereq instead of cell & molec bio? My school encouraged us to take genetics and cell bio for the Bio prereq, so I think you would be ok either way.....although the harder class usually looks better to adcoms.

So to sum up, many schools (such as my undergrad) don't offer a general bio class, so we take "upper level" bio classes to fulfill the prereq, and it's prefectly acceptable to adcoms.

As long as you can cover the material covered by the MCAT on your own (virus, bacteria, genetics, etc.) (which should not be a problem), and you know for sure that the med schools that you are applying to will accept other upper level biology classes for the gen bio requirement you should be fine. At my school, although I already had a full year of A&P they made us take at least one semester of gen bio (I think it had to be the first were you covered the cell, genetics, virus) due to the fact that A&P did not cover all the material needed for the MCAT. I would not assume anything, and I would contact the schools to find out if you need to take gen bio. You do not want to get accepted somewhere and then they let you know that you *must* have gen bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't worry about it - taking biochem and molec bio or whatever you are will definately fulfil your bio requirements - they just want a minimum standard met.

Your question is very confusing but I will tell you the first things that jumped in to my mind.

Anatomy and Physiology as far as I know do not satisfy pre-requisites at any school. You have to have had some molecular and cellular bio to satisfy it. This could be either lower level General or Intro to Bio or a combination of upper levels. I'm pretty sure that MSAR states this for each school pretty explicitly.

As for the MCAT you absolutely need cell and molecular bio. I don't see any way you can get around it. Anatomy and Phys are great and will help alot but there is more on the MCAT the just that.

Are you debating between 'General Bio' and 'Molecular and Cellular Bio'? Because in my book they are the same thing just with different names. My post bac bio class was Molecular and Cellular Bio and it satisfies reqs.

hey everyone. sorry for the confusing question..and i appreciate all your responses. to clarify, my question was whether i should stay registered for my cell and molecular bio class OR drop it and register for a general bio class. they are different classes at my college. i know that the a&p wouldn't cover me for the bio prereq, i just wanted to give you all a background of what biological sciences i've had thus far.
people have told me to drop the cell and molecular bio and take general and then take it in the summer if my mcat score isn't to my liking. this way i'll have definitely covered the "general bio" prereq. any suggestions?
sorry to be so confusing!!! basically it's a choice between the general bio sequences (bio 1 and bio 2) OR a cell and molecular bio class and a genetics class.
Thanks for helping me out everyone! Have a good night.

I took the intro bio sequence and did fine on the bio section. One thing that I kept hearing from my bio major friends was how little their upper level bio courses helped them on that section. General bio satisfies the prereq and has all of the relevant science you need (plus a bunch of stuff about plants).

I believe the higher level class is fine. Lots of people here didn't take the intro bios and instead took the higher level classes, whether it's Genetics, Neuro, Repro, whatever. If you take the higher level, it's assumed you know the basics. And you have to know the basics for the MCAT, so they know you know the material...

-RA

that's what i would have thought...i mean you need to understand the basics to understand the 'higher level' courses. i was just concerned whether adcoms would agree with that. i mean if you do well on the bio section of the mcats then i'd think that would prove you know the basics and then some. thanks so much for all your help!!

:)

Okay now I understand. Sounds like the General Bio satisfies the req and you would probably get the most out of it as opposed to the molec and cellular class.

Also considering that you are taking Organic and Physics (if I read that right) you already have a tough load. I would take General Bio and call it a day.

Hi,

I haven't posted for a long time, but felt like giving my 2cents on your post. I would worry about the classes at the community college. You say it is to save money, however most med schools want to see classes at a university. Most of the ones I have been in contact with agree that community college courses are not ususally taught at the same level as university courses.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but most of us you have been pre-meds for 4 years know this as being a truth when it comes time to apply. The CC classes may end up hurting you. I would try to take at least 2 or 3 classes at the university to show them that you can handle them with no problem.

As to your question, You must have 8 hours of general biology INCLUDING lab with these courses. So regardless of the other courses you have taken, you must have those 8 hours in order to apply.

Yeah I decided to do the general bio and maybe genetics and viruses or something in the future as add ons.
As for the community college thing, I have inquired about it because I was worried about the same thing. I came with a degree from a university and am only taking the prereqs at the community college which is apparently connected with local city medical schools. (I actually asked the advising center the same question and they said many of their students took the science prereqs and then applied to schools.)
Do you really think I'll have a problem when it comes to applying? Even if I score well on the mcats and prove I know this material as well as someone who learned it at a 4 year school?
Now I'm worried.....any advice?? :(