Cell Bio/Orgo...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottyhoop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you have suggestions/resources to get a head start on Cell Bio or Orgo? I have them next semester and would like to get a head start on them over the summer to make my life a little easier during the semester. Any insight would be great! Thanks!!
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

for both classes, just get the books ahead of time and read as many chapters as you can...the best resource is the book itself and in those two classes, you dont realy skip any chapters so just start reading...

have fun!

scottyhoop said:
Any of you have suggestions/resources to get a head start on Cell Bio or Orgo? I have them next semester and would like to get a head start on them over the summer to make my life a little easier during the semester. Any insight would be great! Thanks!!
Scott

I did the same thing with 20 credits... you may be in for a pretty heavy semester. While your not going to find an exciting cell bio book anywhere in this world, the textbook we use here for o-chem, i think it is Carey 7th edition, is wonderful. Just make sure you learn what you read, dont just memorize, and do all the practice problems at the end of the chapter. The solution manuel is out of this world and im my opinion, with this book, your not forced to go to class (altho class always helps)

Members don't see this ad :)
isnt orgo generally a prereq for cell bio?

Luckily for me it's not, but it might be at some places. Not too sure....prereqs for Cell are bio1,2 and for orgo are gen chem1,2
Scott

scottyhoop said:
Luckily for me it's not, but it might be at some places. Not too sure....prereqs for Cell are bio1,2 and for orgo are gen chem1,2
Scott

For my Cell/Molec class we had to learn the amino acids... you might want to familiarize yourself with those. You could also spend time reviewing the morphology of the cell, really spending time on the anatomy (including constituents) and functions of each. I would also spend a lot of time looking at details of proteins and lipids. (you could probably use your general bio book for most this info)

i think if you had that stuff down pat it would give you a good foundation for the class. Cell Bio has been the hardest class I have taken, so get ready to study!

For Ochem, maybe just get the book and read ahead for a couple chapters. It would help to maybe memorize/understand the main functional groups: alkenes, alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, amines, acids, ethers, esters, anhydrides, acetals, ketals, yada yada yada.

good luck.

scottyhoop said:
Scott

All the information in O-Chem builds upon itself so if you do study before the class do not skip around. Btw O-Chem lecture is not very challenging, although lab can be a bear (at least this was my experience).

in my organic class the instructor didn't explain the material good enough. i read everypage starting from the introduction until chapter 11. when i took organic 2 i didn't have to read the chapters. i just looked at the important terms and the mechanisms. i had 4.0 in organic1 and now i am taking organic2 and it is a lot easier than organic1 because organic2 is the same as orginc1, but with more detail.

beastly115 said:
Yeah, for orgo buy lots of lube and prepare to bend over.

Oh my, ROFL, that's classic right there.

but yeah, for orgo, just get the textbook, buy a nice little plastic model kit and start reading and learning the stuff. Personally, I felt orgo lectures were slightly pointless because everything's explained nicely in the books anyway.

issa said:
in my organic class the instructor didn't explain the material good enough. i read everypage starting from the introduction until chapter 11. when i took organic 2 i didn't have to read the chapters. i just looked at the important terms and the mechanisms. i had 4.0 in organic1 and now i am taking organic2 and it is a lot easier than organic1 because organic2 is the same as orginc1, but with more detail.

FYI, this is one method of being taught O-Chem. The school that I took O-Chem at used the Morrison-Boyd book which is not meant to have a stand alone O-Chem 1 course. There are other books that have been modeled like Morrison-Boyd but apparently you did not use one. I should have thought about this before I actually posted.

Just out of curiosity, which book did you use?

Hardbody said:
FYI, this is one method of being taught O-Chem. The school that I took O-Chem at used the Morrison-Boyd book which is not meant to have a stand alone O-Chem 1 course. There are other books that have been modeled like Morrison-Boyd but apparently you did not use one. I should have thought about this before I actually posted.

for the cell bio we use: Molecular Cell Biology 5th by Lodish (quite difficult)
and we also use on occasion 'Molecular Biology of the cell' by Alberts...

for organic chem we use Loudon 4th edition...very good, but the course in general is like taking 3 courses (soooo much work) covering all of the 1300 ish pages.

beastly115 said:
Yeah, for orgo buy lots of lube and prepare to bend over.

LOL yup! Its funny because someone actually brought that up in our class and for the orgo II midterm a random student brought anal lube and gave it to the professor.....great guy, but the exams 15 pages of HELL! even with studying for weeks, class averages of high 30's to 40's... :smuggrin:

I just got done with o-chem 1 and 2...
and due to different teachers i had different books for part 1 and part 2...
ive also seen several other textbooks, and the best one I found was
'Organic Chemistry' by Janice Gorzynski Smith First edition (came out in 2005).... its easy to understand and has lots of visuals to help you understand the subject in multiple ways. :)
For Cell bio we used Lodish's book, its a good book but the subject it self is extreamly hard.

i agree with everyone else. get a book and start reading. it sucks but thats what you will have to do in dental school. also, those of you that are scared of taking alot of credits: i took 20 or more credits my last 3 semesters and actually pulled the best grades in my college career. its possible so go for it. as our biology club said "laugh at us now, work for us later" :laugh:

Hardbody said:

i used the organic book that was written by wade. it is the big book.

For Ochem get two books: "Pushing Electrons: A Guide for Students of Organic Chemistry" by Daniel P. Weeks and "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts" by David Klein. You will have an awesome foundation after studying those two, especially the Klein book. If you understand the concepts in the Klein book you don't have to rely on memorization and you'll be well on your way to an 'A'. ;)

I don't have any suggestions for cell bio.

(I have used copies of both those books that I'll be putting on Ebay soon. Anyone's welcome to PM me if they're interested)

mochafreak said:
"Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts" by David Klein.
this is a great book! klein was a great prof too -- he was very friendly and genuinely cared about his students. reading this book before orgo will definitely help you understand the concepts! :thumbup:

syn_apse said:
this is a great book! klein was a great prof too -- he was very friendly and genuinely cared about his students. reading this book before orgo will definitely help you understand the concepts! :thumbup:

I forgot that you actually had him for a prof...now I'm jealous again. :)

Nice sig btw.

issa said:
i used the organic book that was written by wade. it is the big book.

i used this book also, i dont think you can understand much of orgo from reading though, reading is for the beginning of orgo 1 (freshman chem review) when they talk about electron pushing, resonance, and molecular coformation. when it gets into reactions, find old test or practice tests and just do as many reactions as you can. Think of why each reaction goes a certain way instead of the multiple other conformations. I didn't read for the last part of orgo 1 and all of 2 but had 4.0s in both of them. I recieved a 23 the orgo section on the dats and a friend of mine that studied this way with me recieved a 29. good luck in the class.

and food for thought... british kids take orgo while theyre in high school, they start off at biochemistry in their freshman year of college