Cell Biology on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MissionStanford

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took an Intro to Cell and Molecular Biology course my 2nd semester of college. This was the one class I didn't get an A in for my 1st year (I got a B+). I blame myself for slacking off and not reading the textbook (professor taught pretty well in class, and I attended most classes or tried to listen to podcasts/read the powerpoints if I missed class) although my professor is also notorious for his incredibly difficult tests.

My worry is that this B+ will screw me over for the biological sciences section of the MCAT (Apparently my professor actually used to write biology questions on the MCAT). I understood the first half of cell biology pretty well (proteins, lipids, sugars, nucleic acids, cytoskeleton, extracellular matrix) but didn't work hard for the second half (DNA replication, Kreb's cycle, glycolysis, electron transport chain, cell signaling pathways, apoptosis, tissues, etc.).

I still have to take Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Anatomy/Physiology, and I'm going to work much harder to make sure I get an A in all those classes (All taken before the MCAT). Is cell bio going to screw me over though? I'm thinking I'll just listen to my professor's podcasts again for the topics I'm weak on and read a biology MCAT review book as well.
 
I took an Intro to Cell and Molecular Biology course my 2nd semester of college. This was the one class I didn't get an A in for my 1st year (I got a B+). I blame myself for slacking off and not reading the textbook (professor taught pretty well in class, and I attended most classes or tried to listen to podcasts/read the powerpoints if I missed class) although my professor is also notorious for his incredibly difficult tests.

My worry is that this B+ will screw me over for the biological sciences section of the MCAT (Apparently my professor actually used to write biology questions on the MCAT). I understood the first half of cell biology pretty well (proteins, lipids, sugars, nucleic acids, cytoskeleton, extracellular matrix) but didn't work hard for the second half (DNA replication, Kreb's cycle, glycolysis, electron transport chain, cell signaling pathways, apoptosis, tissues, etc.).

I still have to take Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Anatomy/Physiology, and I'm going to work much harder to make sure I get an A in all those classes (All taken before the MCAT). Is cell bio going to screw me over though? I'm thinking I'll just listen to my professor's podcasts again for the topics I'm weak on and read a biology MCAT review book as well.

i got Bs in both physics and biology and manage to pull 11-12 in both sections. however i am a chem major so all that stuff is easy. and all 4 semesters worth of classes that i mentioned above i didnt try nearly as hard as i should have.
 
i got Bs in both physics and biology and manage to pull 11-12 in both sections. however i am a chem major so all that stuff is easy. and all 4 semesters worth of classes that i mentioned above i didnt try nearly as hard as i should have.

In contrast, I got As in biology and it was, by far, my most challenging subject. Academic courses and MCAT don't always overlap that well.

Plus, not everyone even takes those higher level courses in the first place.
 
I took an Intro to Cell and Molecular Biology course my 2nd semester of college. This was the one class I didn't get an A in for my 1st year (I got a B+). I blame myself for slacking off and not reading the textbook (professor taught pretty well in class, and I attended most classes or tried to listen to podcasts/read the powerpoints if I missed class) although my professor is also notorious for his incredibly difficult tests.

My worry is that this B+ will screw me over for the biological sciences section of the MCAT (Apparently my professor actually used to write biology questions on the MCAT). I understood the first half of cell biology pretty well (proteins, lipids, sugars, nucleic acids, cytoskeleton, extracellular matrix) but didn't work hard for the second half (DNA replication, Kreb's cycle, glycolysis, electron transport chain, cell signaling pathways, apoptosis, tissues, etc.).

I still have to take Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Anatomy/Physiology, and I'm going to work much harder to make sure I get an A in all those classes (All taken before the MCAT). Is cell bio going to screw me over though? I'm thinking I'll just listen to my professor's podcasts again for the topics I'm weak on and read a biology MCAT review book as well.


Seriously? You're worried a B+ in one subject will ruin your chances on the entire section? Seriously??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let me clarify. When I say, "screw me over on the MCAT," I probably should have mentioned that my goal is a 38+ on the MCAT.

Yeah, with a name like "MissionStanford", I assumed you wanted a top score. But you don't have to know everything about everything to score that high. Sure, you need a solid foundation of content knowledge (and a B+ in a tough class means you're almost there in that subject, if not there already), but to notch 13's and 14's in a section (especially BS), your ability to critically reason through unfamiliar situations becomes just as important.

The answer to a lot of MCAT questions can't be looked up in a textbook. These can only be arrived at through correct application of information presented to you either in the passage or question stem. Developing that skill (and, IMO, it's definitely a skill that needs to be practiced) takes time and effort, but it's what will allow you to achieve that high number you're shooting for.

I guess what I'm saying is this: sure, go over the content you feel weak on -- it certainly can't hurt. But don't assume that content and content alone is the golden ticket. And don't freak out about one B+ in a class (esp. when the rest are all A's). It's an annoying gunnerish thing to do.