cell phone providers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best CELL PHONE provider

• Verizon-40$ 450 whenever min. Unlimited N+W

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Cingular-40$ 450 whenever (rolls over) 5000 N+W 7% student discount

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • T-MOBILE-40$ 600 whenever. Unlimited N+W

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Sprint- 40$ 300 whenever. Unlimited incoming. Unlimited N+W

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • I don't need a cell phone for med school

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

usrael

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you choose if you were starting a 2 year deal?
If you live in Boston please add your own advice.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I JUST made this decision today. Went with T-Mobile because if you plan on doing any out-of-country travel/calling, T-Mobile is the way to go. Plus I got their sweet-ass Pebl. Holla!

What do your family and friends have?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verizon probably has hands-down the best coverage in Boston. That being said I think you can get much better deals with Sprint which has nearly as good coverage in Boston. If you're an existing Sprint customer you can easily talk to retention (especially nice if you're a business customer) and get them to give you free things.

forums.sprintusers.com and go to Tips & Tricks to learn a lot more. The nice thing about Sprint is that they will move your N&W minutes up to 7pm as part of their current promo and you can pay for 6pm (or if you've been a customer for a while and are out of contract, you can get it for free). None of the other providers that I'm aware of will allow you to move your N&W minutes up further. With that you can get fewer anytime minutes and be just fine.

Black&Gold said:
I JUST made this decision today. Went with T-Mobile because if you plan on doing any out-of-country travel/calling, T-Mobile is the way to go. Plus I got their sweet-ass Pebl. Holla!

Cingular uses the same GSM technology as T-mobile.
Once you unlock the phone you can use it overseas with a local SIM card.

I have relatively few friends in the States, since I just arrived from overseas.
However, the friends I have ALL have Verizon, which makes a big difference (free verizon-verizon).
As of now it looks like I'll purchase a phone+plan via Amazon.com
The newest phones are free when you sign on for 2 years.
Currently it's Verizon vs. Cingular. Tough call...

Check out Amazon for some sweet phone deals. Just got the new crackberry for 50$ under T-Mobile. 1000min unlimited mail, texts, and internet via EDGE for 60/month . Sweetness.

If your friends and family use verizon go with it to save some cash. They have the new treo for 280! You really cant beat amazon. They undercut all the brick and mortar stores by hundreds.

i'll live in boston as of next week, and i have verizon. the "in" network makes a huge difference for me; i talk on the phone a lot, but with almost exclusively other verizon users, so i don't come close to using my minutes. it feels good to never worry about how many minutes i'm using!

Risa said:
i'll live in boston as of next week, and i have verizon. the "in" network makes a huge difference for me; i talk on the phone a lot, but with almost exclusively other verizon users, so i don't come close to using my minutes. it feels good to never worry about how many minutes i'm using!

Hi Risa,

You're right, and I'm leaning towards Verizon. The minutes saved by free verizon-verizon calls will certainly compensate for the 150 fewer minutes.
Also, once you purchase a phone+plan via amazon.com, the 7% student discount (cingular) is nullified. Rollover shmolover...if my future friends don't have Cingular, it's not worth much. Most of the "day-talking" will be with fellow students, and it's important to have the same network.

usrael said:
Thanks

I had great service with Cingular when I was in Boston for college.

Verizon it is.
Thanks for your help!

usrael said:
Thanks

Hey

how or where you get 7% Student discount on cingular? just curious..

M bhai MBBS said:
Hey

how or where you get 7% Student discount on cingular? just curious..

i walked into the store and asked. They had a list, and scrolled down until they hit my school.
Not sure if this is universal ;)

usrael said:
i walked into the store and asked. They had a list, and scrolled down until they hit my school.
Not sure if this is universal ;)

haha nice i hope they have that in NYC. i ma check it out. thankss