Cellular respiration and metabolism

Started by PAGuyana
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PAGuyana

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To what extent are we expected to know this thing? Should we know the ins and outs of glycolysis, ETC, etc.?
 
I had a stand-alone on the Krebs cycle on mine...I think it basically asked what compound came next in the cycle after the one that was given. So I'd say, yes, you need to know it in detail.
 
I had a stand-alone on the Krebs cycle on mine...I think it basically asked what compound came next in the cycle after the one that was given. So I'd say, yes, you need to know it in detail.

I remember that question from my exam. I found it odd that they would include such a detailed question on something typically learned in medical school.



Anyway, as previously mentioned, you should know a good deal about cellular respiration and metabolism. At least know the general overview, what's going on, aerobic vs anaerobic, where these processes take place, net ATP production, etc.

Normally I would say memorizing the actual names of the compounds involved is very low yield and not worth studying ... but, as illustrated here, they come up. Still, the majority of questions are not that detailed.

But if you really want to know them, as far as the TCA cycle is concerned...

"Cindy Is Kinky So She Fornicates More Often"
Citrate, Isocitrate, alphaKetoglutarate, SuccinylCoA, Succinate, Fumarate, Malate, Oxaloacetate
 
I remember that question from my exam. I found it odd that they would include such a detailed question on something typically learned in medical school.



Anyway, as previously mentioned, you should know a good deal about cellular respiration and metabolism. At least know the general overview, what's going on, aerobic vs anaerobic, where these processes take place, net ATP production, etc.

Normally I would say memorizing the actual names of the compounds involved is very low yield and not worth studying ... but, as illustrated here, they come up. Still, the majority of questions are not that detailed.

But if you really want to know them, as far as the TCA cycle is concerned...

"Cindy Is Kinky So She Fornicates More Often"
Citrate, Isocitrate, alphaKetoglutarate, SuccinylCoA, Succinate, Fumarate, Malate, Oxaloacetate

Thanks for the Cindy one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I doubt you need to know the details of the cycle.

As for the standalone question on the mcat, are you sure you couldn't figure out the answer based on obvious POE or by the name of the enzyme catalyzing the step?




EDIT: Oh crap... I just realized this was a bumped thread. My bad.
 
I bump this old thread on purpose because I am wanted to know do I have to know all the details of cellular respiration.

Nope. Just know what goes in/out. how many NADH's/FADH2's/ATPs are created. And understand that in general, it's an oxidation process (Glucose --> CO2). (Of course know the order of glycolysis, Krebs, and Oxidative phosphorylation )
 
Haven't taken the actual test and having taken various full lengths, I doubt tackling cellular respiration through rote memorization of the biochemical pathways/intermediates would be effective in answering questions on the test. We should know about the stuff that possibly relates to the process overall (ALOTLOT). I'd say know about cellular respiration/metabolism with respect to physiology and cell bio. Stuff like where these processes occur in the cell and where the indicated enzymes would be highest in concentration as well. What types of cell do what? What physiological conditions permit or at least relate to such processes (endocrinology, types of muscle fibers, respiratory acidosis)?

Big picture stuff. Though, if time permits, it wouldn't hurt to look over the pathways in order to instill concepts of oxidation and reactions that could possibly relate to ochem in a bio context.