Cellular respiration question - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdndds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I have a question from one of the Kaplan practise tests:

One molecule of glucose is catabolized via cellular respiration. How many molecules of ATP are produced by oxidative phosphorylation?

a)2
b)4
c)34
d)36
e)40

Originally I thought the answer was D, but the book says C and here is the explanation:

C - 32 ATP are produced by the electron transport chain and oxidative phosphorylation. Ultimately, 1 molecule of glucose will be catalyzed to produce 36 ATP (32 from oxidative phosphorylation, 2 from the citric acid cycle, 2 from glycolysis).

What?? No idea where they are getting 34 out of this explanation... any help would greatly be appreciated!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like they're including the 2 ATP that get produced in the Kreb's cycle?

Kind of a bogus question.

This is dumb because they're assuming the organism is a prokaryote... thats why its 34 instead of 32..

since there is no mitochondria in prokaryotes the 2 NADH produced in glycolysis will yield 3ATP/NADH instead of 2ATP/NADH

Here's a chart for you to undestand what I'm saying =)

Eukaryote
Glycolysis
ATP invested -2 ATP
4 ATP generated +4 ATP (substrate)
2 NADH x 2 ATP/NADH +4 ATP (oxidative)
Pyruvate decarboxylation
2 NADH x 3 ATP/NADH +6 ATP (oxidative)
Kreb's cycle
6 NADH x 3 ATP/NADH +18 ATP (oxidative)
2 FADH2 x 2 ATP/FADH2 +4 ATP (oxidative)
2 GTP x 1 ATP/GTP +2 ATP (substrate)
Total +36 ATP

This is dumb because they're assuming the organism is a prokaryote... thats why its 34 instead of 32..

since there is no mitochondria in prokaryotes the 2 NADH produced in glycolysis will yield 3ATP/NADH instead of 2ATP/NADH

Here's a chart for you to undestand what I'm saying =)

Eukaryote
Glycolysis
ATP invested -2 ATP
4 ATP generated +4 ATP (substrate)
2 NADH x 2 ATP/NADH +4 ATP (oxidative)
Pyruvate decarboxylation
2 NADH x 3 ATP/NADH +6 ATP (oxidative)
Kreb's cycle
6 NADH x 3 ATP/NADH +18 ATP (oxidative)
2 FADH2 x 2 ATP/FADH2 +4 ATP (oxidative)
2 GTP x 1 ATP/GTP +2 ATP (substrate)
Total +36 ATP

Nevermind I got what you are saying.

The reason C was the best choice and D could not have been the right choice is because it asks for oxidative phosphorylation, which could be 32-34 ATP, but not 36.

36 ATP would be including the 4 ATP from substrate-level phosphorylation.

Still bogus nonetheless, but with some POE you can figure it out.