Central (MD) vs. Rocky Vista (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coffeelover27

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide between RVU-COM in Colorado and Central Michigan. Here's a short list of pros and cons for each school. If there are any students who go to either school please let me know how your experience is! Thank you all so much🙂

RVU-COM
Pros- Great location
- Class isn't mandatory and you can stream everything online
- Global health honors track
- Applications-based curriculum
- Great faculty and all the first/second years that I met (appeared) to be pretty happy
- 100% match rate (in 2016, haven't seen the list for 2017)

CONS
- More expensive (~ $54,000)
- High cost of living
- Far away from family / friends in Michigan
- Still torn between DO vs MD

Central
Pros
- $40,000 in state tuition
- Closer to home and lower cost of living than CO

Cons
- Newer school (they did have 100% match rate for 62 students. Haven't seen the list yet either)
- Huge emphasis on team learning (I don't mind this, but generally benefit more from self-study)
- Middle of nowhere
- They're affiliated with smaller hospitals

Also, I'm interested in pediatrics or PM&R. I plan on spending as much time as possible back home (MI) since my family is here. I'd like to practice in MI as well (possibly through HF or Beaumont). Not sure if any of that info makes a difference but oh well lol. Thanks again!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RVU does many of their rotations in rural locations outside the state of CO and are preceptor-based, not at a hospital.... just keep that in mind when you consider the location/quality of rotations you will be getting at RVU vs Central Mich