Centric Relation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flegg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it was most forward (anterior) position of condyles. The following is straight from Brand's Dental Anatomy and I am assuming it is incorrect?

Centric relation is defined as the most retruded rela
tionship of the mandible to the maxillae when the condyles
of the temporal mandibular joint are in their most upward,
backward, and unstrained position in the glenoid fossae.
It is a relationship also of the structural features of the temporal mandibular joint.
To experience centric relation, tip your head as far back
as possible and gently close your teeth together. Let your
mandible go back as far as possible. You will notice this is
different than your habitual occlusion. If you tip your head
forward and close your teeth together as you usually do,
this is your centric occlusion. Is your mandible farther forward in your habitual centric occlusion or in your centric
relation?

Brand, Richard W.; Isselhard, Donald E. (2014-03-12). Anatomy of Orofacial Structures - Enhanced 7th Edition: A Comprehensive Approach (Anatomy of Orofacial Structures (Brand)) (Page 60). Elsevier Health Sciences. Kindle Edition.

Members don't see this ad.

past philosophy was that it was the most superior posterior position of the condyles...today they think it's the most anterior superior position of the condyles...

get used to evidence in dentistry being always up in the air...half of this stuff, i call bs on anyways...

if you have trouble making centric relation in a patient, try using cotton roll/gauze as an anterior deprogrammer...keep it in the patient for a couple minutes before trying to reach CR...it's supposed to relax the lateral pterygoids

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wassofuny?

Anterior-superior. Books will conflict constantly in the profession. Better yet-go with what your instructors are telling you-more importantly the one issuing the exam!

wassofuny?

Because it doesn't matter. I've never in my life put someone into "CR".

I understand the concept. I just don't think there's any reason to have pts biting on a cotton roll for five minutes to find some unicorn of a bite that will never be reproduced naturally.

Denture wax bite? "Bite down until it feels like normal, not too far open or closed"