Certified Mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calstudent

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably a basic question, but is it a good idea to send the stuff that we send to medical schools by certified mail (I think that's the one where you get a piece of paper back when the mail reaches its destination) or any special mail? (Or, should we just do it by the basic route?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dont use certified mail. Its not worth the hassle and I've heard that if they're not there to receive it it'll get booted back to you. I just use priority w/ delivery confirmation for all of them and never lost a secondary. And I sent in about 40 of them.

I used regular first class USPS for secondaries. (although I used a catalog envelope, so I needed two or three stamps.) Then I just called each office to see if they had received it. I sent over 30 packets.

Each packet had a bar-coded ZIP+4 mailing label courtesy of a labelmaker I had at my office. I don't know for certain if this helped the envelope get through, but it looked nice.

I used a spreadsheet to track the latest update I got from each school as the process moved along, and a windows addressbook to record phone #'s, addresses, URLs, and username/passwords.

In most cases the only material I sent was photo/resume/signature/check, because the secondary content was sent over the web. About a quarter of all schools took payment via credit card, so I didn't need to send a check.

All the offices received my USPS mailed stuff without a problem. The only delay came from the LORs, which were sent via email by my premed office (PDF file.) A few schools lost the email and needed it resent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certified mail gives you proof of postage and date as well. You can also track the package using the number on your receipt.

Registered mail requires a reciptient signature and you get a return receipt.

Why not just go with FedEx same day service? This way, with 20 secondaries or so, you can spend about 1200 bucks just in mailing them. Sounds like a winner to me.

But really, I don't see why you would need anything more than priority mail with delivery confirmation. It will cost you like 3 bucks a packet, and you can then even call to make sure it was received.

My goodness, FaytlND, will you stop being so insufferable in every thread? And to think I defended you once upon time in the MCAT forum...

I, too, have used priority to send out med school stuff, and I would recommend it!

I don't understand how other people can use humor in their posts, and no one jumps all over them. I do it twice, and people are ready to kill me. If people don't like my sense of humor, thats fine, I can handle that. But as for being insufferable, I hardly see how thats the case.