certified pharm-tech??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstgeneration

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know if we it is a requirement to take class before taking the pharm-tech certification test??I heard it was and wasn't or does it depend on the state. I am located in twin cities, minnesota. Hopefully someone can help me, if it is not a requirement i thought i would go ahead and take it.:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Also interested in the answer to this, and also conveniently located in Minnesota (Duluth)

If you are talking about the PTCE, I don't believe there are any requirements to take the test. I think it'll ask you if you work at a pharmacy and where, but that's not a requirement. I've never taken any pharm-tech classes and was able to take the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of programs out there to become a pharmacy tech, but it is not a requirement to take the test. In California, there are lots of tech programs through the various career colleges but I didn't waste that money on tech school (it's almost 20K). I signed up for the test, studied about 2 -3 weeks in advance and scored 856/900.

All you have to do is take the test. Just some advice focus on the laws and the math. There were hardly any questions regarding drugs.

Moved to licensure and exams, home to questions about PTCE, pharm tech license/certification, NAPLEX, and more.

Regarding prep materials I also had a pharmacy calculations text, but different than the one in the link above. Check out the other ptcb threads for more info on testing. In general you're asked questions about experience/classes, etc when you register, but the only thing that will keep you out of the test is a felony conviction.