Certified Physician Executive utility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbrocks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has thought of getting a CPE and if there is any real utility in getting it.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read and heard (including from one close colleague who has a CPE and speaks very highly of it), the utility comes mainly from the leadership skills and knowledge you learn in the process of becoming eligible. You can use these to excel in your job and work your way to higher-level or more desirable healthcare executive jobs from there. So if you don't already have a lot of leadership and management experience, but want to become a leader, the CPE is useful.

What it probably won't do is get you a job as a healthcare exec by itself. You really need to take the initiative and put in the effort to capitalize on what you've learned from earning the designation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also wouldn’t listen much to the opinion of anyone who has one about the topic. It’s easy to pitch a credential as super necessary after you paid for it.

Google the local c-suites and see how many of them have it

Reactions: 1 users
From what I've read and heard (including from one close colleague who has a CPE and speaks very highly of it), the utility comes mainly from the leadership skills and knowledge you learn in the process of becoming eligible. You can use these to excel in your job and work your way to higher-level or more desirable healthcare executive jobs from there. So if you don't already have a lot of leadership and management experience, but want to become a leader, the CPE is useful.

What it probably won't do is get you a job as a healthcare exec by itself. You really need to take the initiative and put in the effort to capitalize on what you've learned from earning the designation.

I see what you're saying - that it'll provide tools for that next step "up the ladder" but it won't provide any real direct advantage other than that. I also wonder how much admin would consider someone with this over someone who doesn't have it, but would be just as qualified without it. Know what I mean? Any thoughts on that?

I also wouldn’t listen much to the opinion of anyone who has one about the topic. It’s easy to pitch a credential as super necessary after you paid for it.

Google the local c-suites and see how many of them have it

That's true. I did look, and I really can't say that many have it. I wonder, however, if the opposite is true and people who don't have it would be more inclined to say it isn't necessary.