Certiphi Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nayahrichard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how individuals are obtaining their Certiphi CBC's before they have submitted their applications via AMCAS. I have called Certiphi numerous times and they have informed me that they do not pull CBCs per request of individuals only through organization, businesses, etc...

For those that have obtained your Certiphi CBC, did you guys pull it yourselves, and if so how?

Members don't see this ad.

After you submit your primary you get a link to a certiphi subsidiary where for a max of $150 you can see your certiphi background check. It usually works out to ~$75. The link requires your amcas id and some other stuff, and it's intended for people who have already submitted a primary to amcas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Presumably one would want such information in order to be able to minimize/omit background issues.

This is a bad strategy.

There is a long path from medical school to being an attending physician, and at multiple times for licensing or hospital privileges you will be subject to background screening. What one check misses, another may pick up, so your best strategy is to disclose everything, admit mistakes, demonstrate that you have moved on.

For about 20 dollars you can get your FBI CJIS record by mail, which is your definitive criminal record. You just need to get fingerprinted and mail that in.

Why would you need one?

Having reached the ripe old age of 35 without ever being arrested, or getting anything more than a speeding ticket; I can't see why it is that big of a deal.

Is there something you are hoping to hide? I would assume you know when you have been arrested/charged/convicted. Thus why the need for a background check??

Correct. That is how I understand the process to be. Thanks for confirmation. I got the impression from some posts that individuals were obtaining their CBC from Certiphi before submitting their apps. I'm wandering if what they said was even true now. Thanks guys

huh? 35? Who said anything about speeding tickets? I'm not hiding anything, or wanting to be dishonest. I just don't remember what my charges were and if they were even misdemeanors. I was a bit of a troublemaker when I was young :) so I can't remember them all (more than 11 years ago) I didn't want to order court dispositions and background checks from 4 different counties/cities in 3 different states. Thus, an exhaustive CBC such as Certiphi would be more efficient, than running around and possibly spending more money and time. That's why. Please don't assume. Thank you.

Why would you need one?

Having reached the ripe old age of 35 without ever being arrested, or getting anything more than a speeding ticket; I can't see why it is that big of a deal.

A speeding ticket, even one given to you when you were 19 and passing through a different state and you just mailed in the fine, might have been a misdemeanor. SDN members have had their acceptances revoked after an old misdemeanor pops up on their background check. That's right... after their acceptance, after they've withdrawn from other universities, their acceptance was rescinded for what seemed like a minor traffic offense.

Do you really remember the exact legal terms used on each and every traffic offense you have committed since age 16? Some people don't. For them, there's the certiphi background check.

A speeding ticket, even one given to you when you were 19 and passing through a different state and you just mailed in the fine, might have been a misdemeanor. SDN members have had their acceptances revoked after an old misdemeanor pops up on their background check. That's right... after their acceptance, after they've withdrawn from other universities, their acceptance was rescinded for what seemed like a minor traffic offense.

Do you really remember the exact legal terms used on each and every traffic offense you have committed since age 16? Some people don't. For them, there's the certiphi background check.

I agree with this... I've been planning on purchasing one to see if I need to list a speeding ticket or not, which is a "type" of misdemeanor in the state I got it in, but not a full misdemeanor. So when secondaries ask if I've ever been convicted of a misdemeanor, I don't want to check yes if I don't need to.

It's disappointing to hear it's not possible to purchase a background check directly from Certiphi before submitting a primary.

BTW -- it's my understanding that only offenses that occurred after turning 18 will show up on a background check. I believe a court order is needed to access criminal histories for people when they were minors, as the recrods are otherwise sealed.

In Michigan our state police run a program (ichat) where you can pay for a background check. Had a civil infraction and just wanted to make sure I had nothing on my record. Paid the $10-15 and a got what I was looking for.