cGPA: 3.409 sGPA: 3.210 SMP GPA: 3.01 MCAT: 494 1st attempt, 496 2nd attempt, 501 3rd attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getchanceandluck

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.409
sGPA: 3.210
SMP GPA: 3.01
MCAT: 494 1st attempt, 496 2nd attempt, 501 3rd attempt

Shadowing: ~50 hours
Volunteering: 200+ hours
Scribe: 2 years

Currently in a SMP where they guarantee admission if you meet their benchmarks. However, I will not be meeting those benchmarks, so I was planning on taking another gap year and reapplying for DO schools this cycle. I was able to snag an interview at a newer DO school (BCOM) but was waitlisted with my 496 MCAT. I took my MCAT literally a month before going into my SMP, so I didn't know that I scored higher until I was already a month into classes. Wondering if I could get some feedback on what I should do next.

Members don't see this ad.

To be brutally honest, it's hard for me or anybody else to be optimistic towards you given your stats. SMPs are a chance for students with low uGPAs to show they're ready for a med school curriculum- a 3.01 does not do that. MCAT retakes are chances for students with low attempts to show that score does not reflect their real abilities- your highest score of a 501 doesn't even hit the DO average of a 504 (and MD average of 511). Maybe if you retook the MCAT and got like a 520, some schools might give you a chance.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
You could receive interviews at some DO schools but you will need to apply broadly. I suggest all these schools:
BCOM
ICOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-SOMA
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
Noorda-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
LECOM (all schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

Currently in a SMP where they guarantee admission if you meet their benchmarks. However, I will not be meeting those benchmarks, so I was planning on taking another gap year and reapplying for DO schools this cycle. I was able to snag an interview at a newer DO school (BCOM) but was waitlisted with my 496 MCAT. I took my MCAT literally a month before going into my SMP, so I didn't know that I scored higher until I was already a month into classes. Wondering if I could get some feedback on what I should do next.
Can't sugar coat ths; you'd be DOA at my school. You're supposed to ace an SMP, not Beese it. I think that it's time for Plan B.

The face that your carelessly list shadowing and volunteering as simply "Hours" without going into detail demonstrates a lack of interest in presenting yourself as a qualified and competitive candidate. Additionally, if your GPA is poor than you can counteract it with a high MCAT score and vice versa. In this particular situation you are and the lowest end of the scale on both perspectives. Understand where you stand and look at the situation objectively because it is not about "Snagging" a medical school interview or getting the "Guaranteed admission" when you are a non-competitive applicant at your current state. Your applicant needs significant work my friend...just being brutally honest.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
The face that your carelessly list shadowing and volunteering as simply "Hours" without going into detail demonstrates a lack of interest in presenting yourself as a qualified and competitive candidate. Additionally, if your GPA is poor than you can counteract it with a high MCAT score and vice versa. In this particular situation you are and the lowest end of the scale on both perspectives. Understand where you stand and look at the situation objectively because it is not about "Snagging" a medical school interview or getting the "Guaranteed admission" when you are a non-competitive applicant at your current state. Your applicant needs significant work my friend...just being brutally honest.
Maybe it’s his/her first time posting in here.. and they don’t know that? Show some empathy. Get outta here with that “demonstrates a lack of interest in presenting yourself as a qualified and competitive candidate”

Reactions: 7 users
Maybe it’s his/her first time posting in here.. and they don’t know that? Show some empathy. Get outta here with that “demonstrates a lack of interest in presenting yourself as a qualified and competitive candidate”
Hence why I used the term "Demonstrates" to signify how it comes across to certain people when viewing their post. With that in mind perhaps the poster recognized that and could provide more depth into where the hours are coming from. Your making a bold statement.

Hence why I used the term "Demonstrates" to signify how it comes across to certain people when viewing their post. With that in mind perhaps the poster recognized that and could provide more depth into where the hours are coming from. Your making a bold statement.
Excuse me sir, you used "your" when you meant to say "you're". You "demonstrate a lack of interest in presenting yourself as a qualified and competitive" critic with your complete disregard for English grammar.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Excuse me sir, you used "your" when you meant to say "you're". You "demonstrate a lack of interest in presenting yourself as a qualified and competitive" critic with your complete disregard for English grammar.
You know I was going to say this but I was like “it’s too early to be this petty” 😂😂

Reactions: 1 user
Yea buddy I wasn’t even gonna post on here the first time I saw your comment, but seeing this reply just shows me how full of yourself you are. The previous commenter isn’t making a “bold” statement. They’re just being honest. You’re acting like a butt (don’t wanna swear) and being inconsiderate of OPs post nitpicking that they are somehow careless when maybe they just don’t care enough to elaborate on their experiences as their main focus is the gpa and MCAT scores, which is why they’re looking for feedback in the first place.

Your basic lack of empathy and inability to understand why you acted like a rooster in your first post shows me that you are no better than the alleged insult you were throwing at OP in your first post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Salty boi 🤣

Yea buddy I wasn’t even gonna post on here the first time I saw your comment, but seeing this reply just shows me how full of yourself you are. The previous commenter isn’t making a “bold” statement. They’re just being honest. You’re acting like a butt (don’t wanna swear) and being inconsiderate of OPs post nitpicking that they are somehow careless when maybe they just don’t care enough to elaborate on their experiences as their main focus is the gpa and MCAT scores, which is why they’re looking for feedback in the first place.

Your basic lack of empathy and inability to understand why you acted like a rooster in your first post shows me that you are no better than the alleged insult you were throwing at OP in your first post.
You are entitled to your opinion. This is exactly why I asked for an elaboration. If they have "No interest" in elaborating then that is their choice. I have nothing against that at all. But if I have an opportunity to hear additional details which could lead to a more tailored answer suited specifically for this poster.....well then I would like to help the poster. The post came across me that way and that is how I judged it. Just like how you are judging my responses.

Its shaky but you could potentially land a DO acceptance my friend. If you don't mind, could you please tell us your DO school list and perhaps any additions you plan to make to your app due to the gap year?

Something that benefited me was contacting the admission director for schools I felt I was most competitive for and describing my situation. Sometimes they can offer pretty good advice on 1. If your competitive enough to apply to the program & 2. Any changes you can make to better present yourself as a more competitive candidate.

Additionally try and have other people read your PS. This could range from family/friends to academic professors. You could even DM people on SDN or the premed subreddit where people can give their opinion on the matter too. I used a combination of some of these strategies when applying last cycle and was fortunate enough to receive many interviews and multiple acceptances.

DM me if you have any further questions.