MD cGPA 3.46, sGPA 3.53, 515 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doggodude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looked around and couldn't find much regarding my situation, so here goes:

- CA resident, 1/2 hispanic
- Very strong desire to practice rural/underserved medicine (from a majority hispanic, rural area of CA)
- GPA is pretty low, I know, but I do have a strong upward trend (~3.7 cumulative last two years of school)
- good MCAT, 515
- Recent graduate of a top 5 LAC in the greater LA area
- I don't have any volunteering/shadowing experience, that's what I'm doing this summer
- EC's so far: Organic Chemistry tutor, Organic Chemistry lab TA, varsity sports, started a nonprofit to teach intro CS to underserved elementary students in the Inland Empire, computer science tutor, did a summer of research with the DoD in Wash. DC, summer of research at school, I am proficient in Spanish, will soon be bringing an Android app to market (I love programming)
- will likely be working in Bioinformatics full-time in the Bay, come August, until I apply to schools in the spring

My question is, what are my chances to go to an MD school? Are certain schools more URM-friendly than others? I'd prefer to go somewhere with a strong rural program, but really I'd go anywhere I got in.

My list so far:
USC Keck
UVA
Ohio State
Oregon
UC Irvine
UCLA (reach, I know)
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Dartmouth
Iowa
University of Maryland
Wake Forest
Medical College of Wisconsin
UT Galveston
Arizona
Indiana
Missouri
Utah
WVU
Kentucky
Alabama
Louisville

Members don't see this ad.

1/2 Mexican? Not all Hispanics are URM. Any evidence of service to the underserved???

If yes to both, then of your list, I suggest:

USC Keck
Ohio State
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Medical College of Wisconsin
Arizona
Indiana

Add SUNY SB, U Miami, SLU, Creighton, Emory, Tulane, BU, Hofstra, MCW, Gtown, U CO

Just curious what Hispanics count as URM and what do not
Mexicans and mainland puertorriquenos (I think) are the two groups that qualify. From what I understand, certain schools also have what they consider to be their target URM groups (like Cubans at UMiami), so it can depend on where you're applying.