cGPA 3.53 | sGPA 3.3 | no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qzyang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just graduated this year 2015 June for MCD Biology from UC Santa Cruz. Currently, I am moved back home and going to community college to obtain a certificate for phlebotomy/medical assisting, and taking some pre-requisites like psychology, sociology, anatomy & physiology, and finishing up organic chemistry. I thought this was a good idea to buy time to get clinical hours and to study for the MCAT, while doing a healthcare program that will give me externships like an.

I know that I should also be shadowing doctors and volunteering at free clinics, but I'm having trouble finding opportunities for this. I have only done a Summer's worth of research in my UC campus in a yeast lab and a fly lab, and I'm volunteering right now in the billing department doing paperwork at my local free clinic.

All my counselors have told me my scores are too low and that I should be aiming for PA school, which is kind of depressing. I'm very hardworking and determined, but I don't have the proper guidance or confidence in what I'm doing. I have no preference of going to MD or DO school, but I would love to go to any school in California/west coast that would accept me.

What are some things I should be prioritizing, besides hardcore studying for the MCAT? What are some strategies you use to see if taking CC classes are acceptable in some schools but not others? Ultimately, what are my chances and how do I make my application blossom within a year or two?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I just graduated this year 2015 June for MCD Biology from UC Santa Cruz. Currently, I am moved back home and going to community college to obtain a certificate for phlebotomy/medical assisting, and taking some pre-requisites like psychology, sociology, anatomy & physiology, and finishing up organic chemistry. I thought this was a good idea to buy time to get clinical hours and to study for the MCAT, while doing a healthcare program that will give me externships like an.

I know that I should also be shadowing doctors and volunteering at free clinics, but I'm having trouble finding opportunities for this. I have only done a Summer's worth of research in my UC campus in a yeast lab and a fly lab, and I'm volunteering right now in the billing department doing paperwork at my local free clinic.

All my counselors have told me my scores are too low and that I should be aiming for PA school, which is kind of depressing. I'm very hardworking and determined, but I don't have the proper guidance or confidence in what I'm doing. I have no preference of going to MD or DO school, but I would love to go to any school in California/west coast that would accept me.

What are some things I should be prioritizing, besides hardcore studying for the MCAT? What are some strategies you use to see if taking CC classes are acceptable in some schools but not others? Ultimately, what are my chances and how do I make my application blossom within a year or two?

Thank you for your time.
OP, I am in the same scenarios as you sort of. I graduated with my bachelors of science in nursing. My current GPA is 3.495 with approx a 3.6 science GPA. I still have a few more classes to take this semester and in spring and then plan on taking the MCAT in the summer of 16'. My advisor told me the other day that I had a shot at MD schools if I did very well on my MCAT. He said for DO schools I would be more competitive and more likely to get in. I actually made a similar post to this the other day and the people on here told me essentially the same thing. I would say our best bet is to score very well on the MCAT. I'm like you I honestly have no preference of MD or DO. I just want the opportunity to practice medicine. My low GPA is mostly due to screwing off in school my first two years. Again, I don't know very much so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm sure people on here have way more knowledge about this than I but I seen we was almost in the same boat academic wise and thought I would reply. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs are rather competitive for a number of DO programs