cGPA 3.55 and 22M MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarthVader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for getting into DO schools, esp PCOM and WVSOM.
According to AACOMAS I have a 3.55 cGPA, 3.52sGPA, and 3.60 non science GPA.

MCAT: 22M
PS: 9
V: 5
BS: 8

Shadowed a MD (40+hrs) and currently shadowing a DO.
Volunteered at my local hospital (150+hours), church (30hrs), and international (in Africa - 20 hrs - 1 week trip).
Have done an independent summer research project in Botany and also did an internship in ChemE.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA is fine. The MCAT score is a little iffy, and the 5 in VR does not help. I think that may keep you out, cause alot of programs want at least a 7. DO may be a little tough, but you need to apply and see.

What are my chances for getting into DO schools, esp PCOM and WVSOM.
According to AACOMAS I have a 3.55 cGPA, 3.52sGPA, and 3.60 non science GPA.

MCAT: 22M
PS: 9
V: 5
BS: 8

Shadowed a MD (40+hrs) and currently shadowing a DO.
Volunteered at my local hospital (150+hours), church (30hrs), and international (in Africa - 20 hrs - 1 week trip).
Have done an independent summer research project in Botany and also did an internship in ChemE.

Thanks.

I would consider retaking the MCAT, you could definitely improve on your BS and VR.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice.

how should I go about improving my Verbal score?
I have tried every strategy..EK (read and dont go back) and Princetons (NOW,LATER, NEVER passages and read the question stems first)

For me it seems to be a hit or miss in verbal. im either scoring between a 5-8 on verbal (practice).

I think the passage subjects really get to me.

thanks for the advice.

how should I go about improving my Verbal score?
I have tried every strategy..EK (read and dont go back) and Princetons (NOW,LATER, NEVER passages and read the question stems first)

For me it seems to be a hit or miss in verbal. im either scoring between a 5-8 on verbal (practice).

I think the passage subjects really get to me.

You might get into WVSOM (off the waitlist) with that MCAT, but you'd be waiting all year. Really you need a better MCAT than that. 25 is on the low end for DO schools, and that 5 is killing you. 25 is where you need to be shooting for though, you'll at least have a shot w/ a 25, your GPA, and applying broadly to DO schools.

Read some books. Read in general. Read "hard" stuff. Read books you hated from high school and college...

Then after you've read and read and read, take practice verbals and get AT LEAST an 8.

Most of med school is reading, and reading an overwhelming amount of dense information that you most comprehend. The verbal section is very important. Getting a 5 is not good... do you see why?

haha thanks. alright will do.

i will admit i dont read (books) that much. im more into nfl.com, cnn.com, and newspapers and magazines.

im really fine with science articles and med articles. (i think?)

On the practice tests i get anywhere from a 6-8, and those occasional 9's and 5's (which i got on my MCAT).

Thanks for the advice!