MD cGPA: 3.62 sGPA: 3.78 MCAT: 517. WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheekCentral

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my MCAT score back today, so I thought I'd post this and see where I should apply.

UG: Top 40 university
Major: Chemical/Biomolecular Engineering
Residency: GA
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.78
MCAT: 517 (132/128/128/129)
Ethnicity: not URM
Clinical Experience:
- Shadowing: ~50 hours w/ PCP (self-run)
- Volunteering: 50 hours w/ hospital in transport
100 hours w/ hospital in cardiac care unit
100 hours w/ PCP
Research: None thus far.
Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~30 hours w/ campus "beautifacation" club. ** I know I'm lacking here, and I am pushing to remedy that **
Extracurriculars/Work Experience:
- Math tutor for Mathnasium (~100 hours -> 8hrs/week) Done over 1 summer (cont. from high school where I had 500+ more hours)
- Athletic Trainer (sports medicine for university's D1 football team) (750+ hours -> 20hrs/week) takes up most of my time
**I've been doing this for the past 2 years and plan to continue. It's an odd EC since most schools require you to be a sports medicine major to participate, but since we don't have that major... Anyways, previous co-workers of mine who have made it into med school have listed this as clinical experience since all we do is treat college athletes for their injuries.**
- Working out (~7.5 hrs/week)
Leadership:
- Trained new athletic trainers during intensive 2 week camp before season
- Trained new math tutors in Mathnasium curriculum

I am going to buy MSAR later today and formulate a suitable school list, but my GPA is on the lower end of the spectrum while my MCAT is on the higher end, so I wanted to the opinions of a few professionals @Goro @Faha @WedgeDawg @gyngyn . Could ya'll help me get started?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to U Georgia and Mercer. You could also receive interviews at these schools:
Tulane
Miami
Emory
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
GW
Georgetown
Add any other schools from the MSAR that your stats are compatible with but remember that OOS public schools have higher MCAT and GPA's for non residents who are accepted.

Thanks for responding Faha!

My stats are a little odd, so there are few schools where my stats line up at the same percentile. How should I got about resolving this? Should I be looking for my MCAT to be in the higher percentiles and GPA in the lowers?

Also, my sGPA is much better than my cGPA which is unusual too. Do you think that would make up a bit for my lower GPA?