cGPA: 3.68 sciGPa 3.5 MCAT: 30Q [uneven]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice in terms of schools to look at and what my chances were in general?
I'm an NJ resident and I scored a 12PS/8VR/10BS on the MCAT [disappointed in the VR since it was way below my average]
My cGPA is 3.68 and BCPM is ~3.5 [Biological Sciences Major]

I have good research experience: 1 summer at UPenn Hospital in the Anesthesiology Dept., 2 summers at Baylor College of Medicine in the SMART Program.
I've volunteered ~50 hours at a children's hospital in NJ and am volunteered at Texas Children's now and will probably accumulate >20 hours there before going back to my hospital in NJ.

Any advice would be great in terms of my chances

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice in terms of schools to look at and what my chances were in general?
I'm an NJ resident and I scored a 12PS/8VR/10BS on the MCAT [disappointed in the VR since it was way below my average]
My cGPA is 3.68 and BCPM is ~3.5 [Biological Sciences Major]

I have good research experience: 1 summer at UPenn Hospital in the Anesthesiology Dept., 2 summers at Baylor College of Medicine in the SMART Program.
I've volunteered ~50 hours at a children's hospital in NJ and am volunteered at Texas Children's now and will probably accumulate >20 hours there before going back to my hospital in NJ.

Any advice would be great in terms of my chances

Any shadowing? Any non-medical volunteering?

Based on above, your ECs are pretty weak besides 3 summers of research. Your GPA/MCAT are too low for schools that like research though (WashU comes to mind) and a lack of shadowing plus very few volunteering hours isn't helping either.

My shadowing experience is weak in terms of quantity; I've shadowed two urologists. The first was in Taiwan and I got to see more general surgery, while the second was in Texas and much more interesting because he was a surgical oncologist and used minimally invasive surgical robotics. Both experiences were for a day though so in total only 16 hours.

Non-medical I was part of an organization at my school for a year in which we focused on small projects that benefited the surrounding community. I was part of a planning committee that organized a local concert that raised over $2,000 for our local Ronald McDonald House.

Members don't see this ad :)
So am I not going to get looks from anywhere?
Or what should my strategy be?

Thanks for the help

Courtesy bump, I'm in a similar setup with the clinical stuff.