MD cGPA 3.7, MCAT 35. Where to apply MD? no chance at md/phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minkii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to SDN, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to offer suggestions for which med schools I should I apply to (for potential matches)? I don't think I have a chance at MD/PhD programs, so I'm planning to apply only MD. I know I want to do a lot of research during med school, but after that, I think I will stick with clinical work (but that's to be decided) especially since I'll only have an MD degree.

State of residence: CA (my ideal school would be a state UC med school, but I'm open to anywhere that accepts me)
Ethnicity: white

Major: Bio
cGPA: 3.72
sGPA without including research credit: 3.60
sGPA including research credit: 3.72
MCAT: PS/VR/BS: 11/13/11 = 35 (was disappointed in my science sections)

ECs:
-research in same lab all 4 years of undergrad, ~25 hrs/wk during school, 2 undergrad poster presentations, 3 summer grants (1 in a foreign country on same topic), 1 academic year grant, senior thesis, but no publications (would've been 2nd author but paper never submitted although was written)
-Bio lab TA for 2 years
-mentor students on writing research proposals for winning summer grants: 3 years
-TA for 3 years, director for 1 year for a one-month program on teaching kids ages 6-13 about how to do real biology experiments
-president of student volunteer organization: helped found 5 chapters at other colleges, send volunteers to local health clinics to teach health ed, teach elementary school kids about nutrition and exercise; was on exec previous 2 years
-exec board for another health student organization for 3 years
-volunteer at (various) free health clinics: ~100 hrs total
-shadow med students & physician at the free health clinics: 2 summers = ~80 hrs
-shadow physician in hospital: 12 hours

I'm also taking a gap year, but am not sure what to do during that time. I was thinking of more research (either as lab tech or a program) because I enjoy it, but maybe you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new to SDN, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to offer suggestions for which med schools I should I apply to (for potential matches)? I don't think I have a chance at MD/PhD programs, so I'm planning to apply only MD. I know I want to do a lot of research during med school, but after that, I think I will stick with clinical work (but that's to be decided) especially since I'll only have an MD degree.

State of residence: CA (my ideal school would be a state UC med school, but I'm open to anywhere that accepts me)

ECs:
-research in same lab all 4 years of undergrad, ~25 hrs/wk during school, 2 undergrad poster presentations, 3 summer grants (1 in a foreign country on same topic), 1 academic year grant, senior thesis, but no publications (would've been 2nd author but paper never submitted although was written)
-Bio lab TA for 2 years
-mentor students on writing research proposals for winning summer grants: 3 years
-TA for 3 years, director for 1 year for a one-month program on teaching kids ages 6-13 about how to do real biology experiments
-president of student volunteer organization: helped found 5 chapters at other colleges, send volunteers to local health clinics to teach health ed, teach elementary school kids about nutrition and exercise; was on exec previous 2 years
-shadow med students & physician at the free health clinics: 2 summers = ~80 hrs

I'm also taking a gap year, but am not sure what to do during that time. I was thinking of more research (either as lab tech or a program) because I enjoy it, but maybe you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
I think you'd be a viable applicant for MD/PhD if that's what you really prefer.

Reactions: 1 user

ECs:
-Bio lab TA for 2 years

Thanks in advance!

You're in decent shape for MD/PhD (although I can't imagine why people want to do this :) ).

For instance, UPenn has one of the largest and most prestigious MD/PhD programs, but the mcat score range of accepted students is lower for the combined degree class than the regular one (I know a guy who knows a guy).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'd be a viable applicant for MD/PhD if that's what you really prefer.

Thanks for your comment! Would you have advice for what types of schools I would have a chance at? I was thinking maybe I would apply for the lower-tier dual-degree programs, like the new schools. And then I would also apply for some med schools as MD only. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your comment! Would you have advice for what types of schools I would have a chance at? I was thinking maybe I would apply for the lower-tier dual-degree programs, like the new schools. And then I would also apply for some med schools as MD only. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks for your help!
That sounds fine, but I suggest including some mid-selective MD/PhD schools as well. And a dream school or two, just for fun.