WAMC: (MD-PhD) 3.79 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA, 517 MCAT ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

green_capy

Reaction score
Hello! I’m applying to MD/PhD programs this cycle and am thinking of getting a PhD in BME or related engineering discipline. I’m a first time applicant and just graduated from undergrad, will be doing post-bacc research in a new lab this upcoming year.
I’m not confident with my stats and am worried about not having publications for my apps. My current school list (not finalized) is top heavy and I hope to get some recommendations to add programs with strong engineering PhDs and to diversify my list! Thank you so much in advance <3
  1. cGPA 3.79, sGPA 3.82 (strong upwards trend; no A’s freshman year but no B’s after that year)
  2. MCAT 517 (130/130/128/129)
  3. state of residence: new england area residence but grew up in CA
  4. Asian female
  5. T5 undergrad engineering major
  6. clinical experience: 200 hr clinical volunteering
  7. research hours: total ~2700 hrs with ~1500 from main lab and the others distributed through four other labs. no pubs, working on manuscript atm but won’t get a pub out by interviews. 3 posters and thesis.
  8. ~50 hrs shadowing in 4 specialties
  9. ~150 hrs nonclinical volunteering
  10. other extracurricular activities: student government, lots of performing arts groups (e.g.theater), lots of student mentoring and social justice/advocacy for disabilities
  11. department honors, 3 research fellowships and awards throughout undergrad. academic honor society and other minor awards.
  12. Anything else not listed that might be important: have an autoimmune disease and worked for advocacy groups throughout undergrad. I got diagnosed freshman year of college and it really affected my grades—but I wasn’t able to really articulate that in my apps as there was a more significant life event that happened that required explanation.

current school list:

Case Western
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Georgetown
Harvard
Icahn
Jacobs @U Buffalo
JHU
Kaiser Permanente
USC
Mayo
NYU
NU
Oregon Health & Sciences
UPenn
Rutgers
Stanford
Texas A&M
Tufts
U Arizona Tucson
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago Prizker
UConn
UMich
UNC Chapel Hill
URochester
UT Southwestern
UWash
Vanderbilt
WashUSt.Louis
WeillCornell
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

It is a good list imo, could add Carle

Reactions: 1 user
Carle (University of Illinois)'s MD program is engineering focused. It also has a MD-PhD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Carle (University of Illinois)'s MD program is engineering focused. It also has a MD-PhD program.
Thanks! Carle sounds cool but I'm a little sketched out that I need to apply again after getting into their MD only program.

Thanks! Carle sounds cool but I'm a little sketched out that I need to apply again after getting into their MD only program.
Not sure I understand.

You can’t apply directly to Carla’s MD/PhD program?

Not sure I understand.

You can’t apply directly to Carla’s MD/PhD program?
It's a competitive admissions process: MD/PhD Medical Scholars Program

Furthermore, it doesn't look like you get a stipend for M3 and M4 like you would in MSTPs, only a tuition waiver.

Near the end of the first year, interested students will complete an MD/PhD application to be reviewed by an MSP Admissions Sub-Committee. We expect to select two MSP students per year in coordination with graduate programs.
All medical students are responsible for their tuition during the first phase of medical school. Students accepted into the MSP will be funded by their respective graduate program during their PhD studies. This includes a stipend and tuition waiver. Upon completion of the PhD and return to the medical school curriculum, MSP students will receive a Carle Illinois tuition scholarship to complete Phase 2 and Phase 3. The MSP scholarship can be added to an existing Carle Illinois scholarship with a cap of covering tuition.