cGPA: 3.72/ sGPA: 3.72/ MCAT: 508, what schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulu17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resume:
  • Year in school: 3rd year Human Biology B.S., UCSC
  • ORM: Asian Female
  • Country/state of residence: CA
  • cGPA:3.72/sGPA:3.72
  • MCAT Scores: 508 (125/127/128/128)
  • Research – 2 year in Alzheimer’s/Genetics/Drosophila Lab (350+ Hours). 1 poster at school symposium (Primary author), 1 poster at Drosophila Genetics Conference (Primary author), 2 grant proposals ($250, $1,225)
  • Volunteering (clinical): 80+ hour internship at a Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation/ Lifestyle Management Center (2017). Direct interactions with patients (55-80 yrs old). 100+ hours at the maternity ward of a major children’s hospital as a senior in high school (2013-2014) (?).
  • Physician shadowing: Will be getting ~ 20 hrs soon
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 50+ hours in a program that teaches nutrition to 1st/2nd graders (Am a founding officer & organize the volunteers as well) (Spring 2016 - now)
  • Extracurricular activities: 150+ hours of Leadership/Cultural Intelligence training (RA training, Experiential Leadership Program (certified), additional courses/seminars), will have 5 quarters of Spanish (including medical Spanish)
  • Employment history: Resident Adviser (2 years + 1 Summer + Hired for next year), Facilitator for “How to Facilitate Team Building Activities” 1-day Program for University Orientation Leaders (2 Years), may be a small group tutor (University program) for Intro Biology course next quarter
  • Immediate family members in medicine? Yes. Mom is a RN (hasn’t practiced in many years)
  • Specialty of interest: Internal Medicine/Primary Care
Prospective list: UC Davis, UC Riverside, CA North State University College of Medicine, Loma Linda School of Medicine, University of Illinois College of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, University of Nevada, Creighton University, Oakland Beumont, Chicago Med Rosalind Franklin, George Washington School of Medicine

My MCAT holds me back for CA schools and my school just lost its pre-med adviser last year so I'm looking for help with creating a list of MD schools to apply to. Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Missouri and Rowan accept very few non residents with your stats. Consider adding these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Tulane
any new private schools that open for 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall)
You definitely need more shadowing and clinical volunteering hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a more realistic list:
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire.

NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with Western (both) Touro-CA, TUNCOM, AZCOM and PacNW

Reactions: 1 user
Are you aware that Northstate students are not eligible for federally insured loans or payback mechanisms?
Are you Adventist?
Are you from the IE?
Is that your only MCAT score?

Yes, no, no, and yes!

I'm on the fence about Loma Linda. Does UCR show a significant preference for students from the IE?

@Goro & @Faha

Thank you, these lists and comment are very helpful!

I've recently created this list after looking at MSAR a bit more carefully.

UCD School of Medicine
UCI School of Medicine
UCR School of Medicine (Is being from the IE a significant factor here?)
CA NorthState University, college of Medicine
Chicago Med Rosalind Franklin
Georgetown University
George Washington School of Medicine
Creighton University
New York Medical College
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Oregon Health & Science University
Oakland Beumont
Drexel
University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine
University of S. Carolina - Greenville
University of S. Carolina - Columbia
West Virginia University
Seton Hall Medical School

Yes, no, no, and yes!

I'm on the fence about Loma Linda. Does UCR show a significant preference for students from the IE?
If you are very religious, and don't drink or have sex outside of marriage, LLU can be a good choice.

UCR only has 25 seats for non-UCR applicants. The man who made this an independent medical school did so for the express purpose of increasing docs in the IE. If that isn't you, I don't recommend applying.

Northstate has denied its students access to federally insured loans and payback mechanisms. If they would do this, what else would they do?

UMKC's OOS matriculants are in a special program.
You don't make the MCAT cut-off for OHSU.

The Carolinas and W VA tend to take their OOS applicants from their own region.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Delete the following (too many favor IS, and you need to be > avg for state schools.)

CA NorthState University, college of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Oregon Health & Science University
University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine
University of S. Carolina - Greenville
University of S. Carolina - Columbia
West Virginia University
Seton Hall Medical School

It is.
UCR School of Medicine (Is being from the IE a significant factor here?)

ADD: some DO schools.