Chad's Organic chem chapters that can be skipped?

yayopt

Reaction score
Hey future doctors!

Does anyone know if certain sections from Chad's Prep (Organic chemistry section) can be skipped/eliminated from studying?

Looking at the OAT 2020 guide, I see 2 chapters covered in Chad's Prep that aren't explicitly listed in the OAT guide to be tested on:

Chapter 16: Conjugated Pi Systems and Pericyclic Reactions
Chapter 22: Amines

Anyone else using Chad's for Ochem review skip these or other chapters that I am missing as well?

Thank you for any help!

This is Chad's Ochem Contents:
Chapter 1: Electrons, Bonding, and Molecular Properties
Chapter 2: Molecular Representations and Resonance
Chapter 3: Acids and Bases
Chapter 4: Alkanes
Chapter 5: Isomers and Stereochemistry
Chapter 6: Introduction to Reaction Mechanisms
Chapter 7: Substitution and Elimination Reactions of Alkyl Halides
Chapter 8: Alkenes
Chapter 9: Alkynes
Chapter 10: Radical Reactions
Chapter 11: Synthesis
Chapter 12: Alcohols
Chapter 13: Ethers and Epoxides; Thiols and Sulfides
Chapter 14: IR Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry
Chapter 15: NMR Spectroscopy
Chapter 16: Conjugated Pi Systems and Pericyclic Reactions
Chapter 17: Aromatic Compounds
Chapter 18: Reactions of Aromatic Compounds
Chapter 19: Ketones and Aldehydes
Chapter 20: Carboxylic Acids and Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
Chapter 21: Substitution Reactions at the Alpha Carbon
Chapter 22: Amines

This is from the OAT 2020 guide:
Organic Chemistry (30 items)
• Mechanisms: Energetics and Structure - elimination, addition, free radical, substitution mechanisms, and other mechanisms and reactions
• Chemical and Physical Properties of Molecules: Spectroscopy (1H NMR, 13C NMR, infrared, and multi-spectra), structure (polarity, intermolecular forces (solubility, melting/ boiling point, etc.), and laboratory theory and techniques (TLC, separations, etc.) • Stereochemistry (structure evaluation): Chirality, isomer relationships, and conformations
• Nomenclature: IUPAC rules and functional groups in molecules
• Individual Reactions of the Major Functional Groups and Combinations of Reactions to Synthesize Compounds: Alkene/alkyne, aromatic, substitution/elimination, aldehyde/ketone, carboxylic acids and derivatives, and other. For each area listed above, the following sub-areas apply: general, one-step, and multi-step
• Acid Base Chemistry: Ranking acidity/basicity (structure analysis and pH/pKa data analysis), and prediction of products and equilibria
• Aromatics and Bonding: Concept of aromaticity, resonance, atomic/molecular orbitals, hybridization, and bond angles/lengths

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Update: I took my OAT this week and scored a 340 AA and 320 TS WOO HOO
Awesome scores!! Congrats :D How was the ochem section compared to chads quizzes? I’m really nervous about general chemistry. Would you say the ADA sample exam is similar to the actual exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome scores!! Congrats :D How was the ochem section compared to chads quizzes? I’m really nervous about general chemistry. Would you say the ADA sample exam is similar to the actual exam?

Hey sorry for the late reply jus checking this.
Thank you! The Ochem section seemed a little similar if not simpler too. I used DAT Bootcamp for Ochem review also and i thought that was better structured than chads Ochem. Gen Chem has always been my strong suit so with chads gen chem review I restrengthened everything. Gen Chem section was pretty straight forward too. Chads prep prepared me well.

The ADA sample exam was VERY similar! I’d say some questions were even identical I swear.

hey man did you end up excluding any sections? I am studying for the OAT right now and didnt find sections like mass spec listed on the OAT subjects to be tested on

hey man did you end up excluding any sections? I am studying for the OAT right now and didnt find sections like mass spec listed on the OAT subjects to be tested on

Hey I’m sorry I don’t quite remember. I think I did exclude some of the chapters. I did about half of chads Ochem review and then switch over to DAT/OAT Bootcamp for Ochem review. I think it excluded the chapters that weren’t specified in the OAT guide. Also a tip I wish i was told, the Ochem section was very surface level type stuff pretty much like the easiest questions from each chapter it felt like!

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I’m sorry I don’t quite remember. I think I did exclude some of the chapters. I did about half of chads Ochem review and then switch over to DAT/OAT Bootcamp for Ochem review. I think it excluded the chapters that weren’t specified in the OAT guide. Also a tip I wish i was told, the Ochem section was very surface level type stuff pretty much like the easiest questions from each chapter it felt like!

Good luck
thank you for taking the time , appreciate the advice very much