Chairman LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snorebel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year medical student and I will be applying for plastics this year. Certain integrated programs request a chairman's letter- this is confusing to me because some schools have Departments of Plastic Surgery and hence a chairman (UTSW and Brown) whereas others have divisions, and hence a chief. Therefore, if a program asks for a chairmans letter and I come from a school with only a division of plastic surgery, should I get a letter from the chair of general surgery or from the chief of plastic surgery? Also, another question: do most successful applicants provide 3-4 letters from plastic surgeons (ie do they only submit LORs from plastic surgeons) or should you have a letter from the chair of general surgery and then 2-3 letters from plastic sureons? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The "chairman's letter" should be from the chief of plastics. Ideally, all letters would be from academic plastic surgeons who have some notoriety and who know you and your work.