Challenge/Adversity Essay Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ducatiboy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was looking at many secondary prompts and wanted to brainstorm some ideas of the adversity/challenge topic but had trouble trying to come up with something. I have thought of 2 ideas and was wondering if either of them would be appropriate to talk about and show my development as a person.

1. I tutor underprivileged middle schoolers in math and when I first started, I was assigned to tutor a kid who at first wasn't responsive and would not talk in our sessions at all. He was visibly upset and would not work on the coursework, but was falling behind in his class. This was the first time I struggled in helping a student and I was pretty disappointed in myself that I couldn't get him comfortable or at least talk about something. I reached out to his teacher and my supervisor to see how I could make him more comfortable in a one on one situation. I began approaching our sessions through asking more personable questions and trying to find something we had in common, and he began opening up about his passion for video games and slowly began transitioning to working on the classwork.

2. In my high school junior year i pursued research in bee pollination and went to a rural farm village in india to conduct my research for 2 months. The conditions there were pretty surprising to me as there was no running water, proper bathroom (you had to go outside), no internet and I had to adapt to the environment. Additionally there was a language barrier as I only knew Hindi and didn't know the local dialect to communicate with the local people. I tried communicating with the local people and found some people who new Hindi and began learning the ways they carried their activities and and way of living in the village. It was a pretty humbling experience for me.

Thank you for your help and insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been through 1 myself and I assume that's really common for educators so it is relatable

Reactions: 1 users
For the secondary topics do we have to talk about events that happen during college or can it be from at any point of our life?

For the secondary topics do we have to talk about events that happen during college or can it be from at any point of our life?
Depends on the topic that you're writing about; but in general, it does not need to be during college.

Reactions: 1 user