Challenge/Adversity Secondary: Writing about an internal challenge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredocpk

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm debating between two ideas for the challenge/adversity secondary prompts, and was hoping y'all could give me some insight.

  1. (Internal challenge). Basically, in high school, I began to question many of the things that my parents had taught me (ie. religion, politics). It was challenging because I was always taught to obey my parents and I went to them when I needed help, but in this instance, they were the very people I could not consult. I handled It by starting an honest discussion with my grandma, another person whose opinion I valued that could give me a different perspective. Through this, I learned that It is okay to challenge the things I am taught, and they have helped me to become my own person. Now, when I face challenges, I always try to collaborate with others who's opinion I value while also staying true to my own intuition and values. (I would write It way better than this ofc)
  2. (External challenge). I was a peer mentor for a group of college freshmen when I was a sophomore, and one of my students came to me about a month into school telling me how much he was struggling (depressed) and wanted to drop out. It was challenging for me because I took on much of this responsibility, and I wanted so bad to say the right things to him to make him feel better, but given It was something I had not experienced myself, I truly struggled with what to say and how to navigate. However, by reaching out to my faculty partner, as well as a friend who had also gone thru the same problem as a freshman, I was able to help them navigate while also understanding that I should not take on too much of the burden, as long as I do my best to help them.
Both of them follow the same theme that I tend to collaborate with people who's opinions I value to work through challenges. I think 1 is something that ADCOMs may not hear as often, which could help, but I’m also afraid It may be a little too niche, making 2 better. What do you guys think?
 
I dont think you should use idea 1 because that's something pretty much everyone goes through - learning to develop their own thoughts and convictions - when they leave home and become an adult. It's common to everyone so I don't think it's worth writing about.