Challenge/Adversity Secondary: Writing about an internal challenge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocpk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating between two ideas for the challenge/adversity secondary prompts, and was hoping y'all could give me some insight.

1. (Internal challenge). Basically, in high school, I began to question many of the things that my parents had taught me (ie. religion, politics). It was challenging because I was always taught to obey my parents and I went to them when I needed help, but in this instance, they were the very people I could not consult. I handled It by starting an honest discussion with my grandma, another person whose opinion I valued that could give me a different perspective. Through this, I learned that It is okay to challenge the things I am taught, and they have helped me to become my own person. Now, when I face challenges, I always try to collaborate with others who's opinion I value while also staying true to my own intuition and values. (I would write It way better than this ofc)
  2. (External challenge). I was a peer mentor for a group of college freshmen when I was a sophomore, and one of my students came to me about a month into school telling me how much he was struggling (depressed) and wanted to drop out. It was challenging for me because I took on much of this responsibility, and I wanted so bad to say the right things to him to make him feel better, but given It was something I had not experienced myself, I truly struggled with what to say and how to navigate. However, by reaching out to my faculty partner, as well as a friend who had also gone thru the same problem as a freshman, I was able to help them navigate while also understanding that I should not take on too much of the burden, as long as I do my best to help them.
Both of them follow the same theme that I tend to collaborate with people who's opinions I value to work through challenges. I think 1 is something that ADCOMs may not hear as often, which could help, but I’m also afraid It may be a little too niche, making 2 better. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you should use idea 1 because that's something pretty much everyone goes through - learning to develop their own thoughts and convictions - when they leave home and become an adult. It's common to everyone so I don't think it's worth writing about.

Reactions: 1 user
#2 is better. It describes a real challenge, whereas #1 is assumed to have occurred before you apply to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user