Challenge essay idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crocognar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out what to write for my challenge essay. From what I've read on SDN, I don't need to go to Africa and be on the verge of death by lion mauling to overcome a challenge. Great!

I was thinking of writing about a time where my friend got a subungual hematoma on his big toe by messing up a skateboard trick, and he was in pain/freaking out. I stayed calm, consoled him, called his dad who is a radiologist for advice, and then I drained his nail (poorly) with a heated paperclip. We still went to urgent care afterwards but I did get some blood out and it was pretty satisfying.

Obviously I'm going to tell it from my point of view and what was going on in my head. You guys think this is a good prompt? My main concern is that it was HIS nailbed that got bruised and HE was the one in pain.

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

This doesn't have to be a medical crisis....

I've seen a good one written by someone who was the victim of a pickpocket and who had to figure out how to cope with that situation in a foreign country.

I also remember a very tedious one by someone who wrote a long essay about steering and braking to avoid an accident after being cut off in traffic. What took 6 seconds to transpire took me 5 minutes to read about.

Depending on the prompt, the friend's injury might be a good topic. You remained calm, offered assistance, called for help, rendered first aid and helped him follow-up with professional care. I'm sure it was satisfying to be able to help a friend.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah this is just a situation that just happened to be medically related. I'll end up writing about this, not because it's medical or whatever, but because it was a challenge.

Thanks for the advice.