Challenging State Boards for licensure (California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandok

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a FTD eligible for Dental Licensure in California (according to California Legislature) without completing the International Dental Program.

However, the Dental Board of California are not accepting my qualifications and are not following their own legislation written.

Has anyone challenged the state board for licensure before? Who is the person responsible for validating educational requirements for Dental Board of California?

Many Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the only two dental schools approved were De La Salle University in Mexico and SUMP in Moldova. What is the legislation you're speaking of?

Those schools are approved by Dental Board Directly.

There is a legislation relating to Dentistry by the California government, that can allow graduates from the some (very few) foreign schools other than the above to be eligible for licensure in California. You may have to read up California law.

Since, my university is recognised by CDAC (Canada), I can make use of this legislation.

It is a shame as California is the only state I wanted to practice in U.S.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Those schools are approved by Dental Board Directly.

There is a legislation relating to Dentistry by the California government, that can allow graduates from the some (very few) foreign schools other than the above to be eligible for licensure in California. You may have to read up California law.

Since, my university is recognised by CDAC (Canada), I can make use of this legislation.

It is a shame as California is the only state I wanted to practice in U.S.
Which country did you do dental school in? It sounds like a dentsl school that canada recognises but isnt in canada?

Which country did you do dental school in? It sounds like a dentsl school that canada recognises but isnt in canada?

I went to an Aussie Dental School.

I have had the California Dental board admit that it is equivalent to that of CODA and Canada. But they are not approving it because it is not accredited by either of them.

However, their legislation states that it doesn’t need to be a CODA or CDAC accredited school for licensure (remember - they used to have the R.T. technique exam a decade ago).

Anyone on these forums have a similar experience? I can surely get some legal advice but I don’t want to go down that party yet....

Reactions: 1 users