Champagne Taps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilowangatang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I got to do my very first lumbar puncture (as a med student!!!!)! AND it was a "champagne tap" aka FLAWLESS tap, which apparently some interns and residents still have never gotten. First try. Anyone else get a champagne tap?

Members don't see this ad.

While I was on peds, the sub-i and two interns all scored champagne taps. And none received champagne.

One tradition I don't like seeing die. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
that is quite a scary procedure for the patient and their families. there is no way in HELLO i would let some med student do my spinal tap. but i'm glad you did a good job.

That's awesome. Nice job!

Reminds me of a story. When I was working at an ED an intern got a champagne tap on his first try ever. He was ecstatic and everyone was congratulating him until it turned out he did it on the wrong patient.

Reminds me of a story. When I was working at an ED an intern got a champagne tap on his first try ever. He was ecstatic and everyone was congratulating him until it turned out he did it on the wrong patient.

Wow..

I haven't even started med school yet, but things like this worry the hell out of my that it could be me that does something like that..

Nice!

Does a champagne tap need to be from the 1st tube or can it be from the 3rd? I feel like my residents do studies on the 3rd and throw out the 1st or just get a culture on it because they assume it's dirty and the 3rd is clean.

I got a champagne tap on my first try doing an LP.

However, the same pt returned 3 days later to the ER after being called back with growth on her culture.

Upon re-LP'ing her, it was the complete opposite--basically just a CSF bloodbath. Humbling

Yeah, but was it pink champagne? Post the cell count from the first tube. :D ;)

Biff

In adults (infants this doesn't apply to) I've had 2 champagne taps on first tubes and 2 or 3 taps with a RBC of 1. Never hit the double digits. Doesn't have to do with luck or skill, has to do with the needle. If you want non-traumatic taps a lot like that, throw out that 18 gauge needle in the LP kits. Use a 20 or a 22 gauge 3.5" needle (or shorter on young'uns) instead. Then you can post your results on a forum almost everytime ;) If your hospital doesn't have them, get them to get them. They're a lot easier on the patient. A LOT easier on them.

In adults (infants this doesn't apply to) I've had 2 champagne taps on first tubes and 2 or 3 taps with a RBC of 1. Never hit the double digits. Doesn't have to do with luck or skill, has to do with the needle. If you want non-traumatic taps a lot like that, throw out that 18 gauge needle in the LP kits. Use a 20 or a 22 gauge 3.5" needle (or shorter on young'uns) instead. Then you can post your results on a forum almost everytime ;) If your hospital doesn't have them, get them to get them. They're a lot easier on the patient. A LOT easier on them.

What's the reason for stocking the kits with an 18g needle? Speed of collection? Just curious.

Yesterday, I got to do my very first lumbar puncture (as a med student!!!!)! AND it was a "champagne tap" aka FLAWLESS tap, which apparently some interns and residents still have never gotten. First try. Anyone else get a champagne tap?

You made an SDN account just to post this?

As an MSIII I performed a craniotomy unassisted during surgery and placed a ventricular shunt on my FP rotation.

I got a champagne tap on my first try doing an LP.

However, the same pt returned 3 days later to the ER after being called back with growth on her culture.

Upon re-LP'ing her, it was the complete opposite--basically just a CSF bloodbath. Humbling

Oooh, headache!

is it bad that I LOLed.