Chance at a research heavy school with no research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dropbox1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I didn't do any research when I was an undergrad, but I applied to some high reach schools, which are research heavy, because I thought it couldn't hurt and the worst case scenario is that I wasted some person's time reading my application. I actually got an interview from one of these high reach schools and I feel like I stand no chance because based on MSAR, 97% of people who get accepted at this school have some reasearch and I feel like I have no chance. I'm sure that there must be someone at that school who liked my application/essay, but how big a deal is no research to these schools after passing the first screening? Do I need an amazing interview to make up for my lack of research or do I still stand a decent chance because they liked me enough to give me an interview? I'll go to the interview because it's an amazing opportunity, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm interviewing for the waitlist. From US News, they hand out about 190 acceptances for a class size of about 100, so only about 6 people out of 7000 applicants get in with no research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: