Chance me! 3.4 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CRCprofessional

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What post-bacc programs should I consider applying to?

Stats:
3.4 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA
27Q MCAT (10 VR, 9 BS, 8 PS)
Research at Duke & Furman University
EMT-certified
Shadowing and leadership experience

I'm looking at post-bacc programs to consider as a back-up to D.O. school. Do I have any chance at getting into the more competitive programs or should I just consider the D.O. post-bacc programs?

Thanks!!
 
What post-bacc programs should I consider applying to?

Stats:
3.4 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA
27Q MCAT (10 VR, 9 BS, 8 PS)
Research at Duke & Furman University
EMT-certified
Shadowing and leadership experience

I'm looking at post-bacc programs to consider as a back-up to D.O. school. Do I have any chance at getting into the more competitive programs or should I just consider the D.O. post-bacc programs?

Thanks!!

You mention EMT certification, have you put it to use? What about the rest of your clinical experiences? How much research (hrs/week and length of commitment)? Upward trend?
 
You mention EMT certification, have you put it to use? What about the rest of your clinical experiences? How much research (hrs/week and length of commitment)? Upward trend?
Worked for >1 year as a clinical research coordinator directly interacting with Alzheimer's patients. I've also shadowed physicians in the ER and stroke ICU floor. I've volunteered at a free medical clinic. I did molecular bio research for 2 summers and organic chemistry research for one summer. I work directly in clinical research now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Worked for >1 year as a clinical research coordinator directly interacting with Alzheimer's patients. I've also shadowed physicians in the ER and stroke ICU floor. I've volunteered at a free medical clinic. I did molecular bio research for 2 summers and organic chemistry research for one summer. I work directly in clinical research now.

Good, you've got some solid ECs. What about that EMT-b cert, have you been able to use it? What I'm getting at is that if your numbers are below average you want your ECs to be extraordinary. Make sure you have ample clinical exposure.

What type of a post-bacc program would you be interested. My guess is SMP, right? Do your grades show an upward trend? How did you do in your science pre-reqs?

Here's the thing about SMPs. They are extremely high risk. Like, if something goes wrong inside or outside of class and you screw up, that's it, bye bye medical school. SMPs are viewed as a last-ditch tryout to prove yourself capable for medical school. If you got mostly Bs in your prereqs you may not be ready for the rigor of an SMP.

Unfortunately, I don't know what advice to offer you. I'm sure Dr. Midlife has a much better plan then the one I'm about to offer up, so don't take my plan as the gospel.
So, if I were in your shoes here's what I would be thinking.
-MCAT needs to improve. Getting that badboy >30/31 would be extraordinarily helpful for your application. The bonus of MCAT prep: you can take classes and participate in ECs while you study for the MCAT.
-sGPA could use a few more points. Were you a science or an arts major? How many credits of science coursework do you have?
-Your ECs are good. You don't be denied an interview for poor EC activity.

In short, I think you need one of two (or maybe both) things: increased MCAT score, and increased sGPA.

My apologies for jumping all over the place with this response. I'm really at a loss for what your best course of action is. Question: did you apply early and broadly? MD, DO or both?
 
Good, you've got some solid ECs. What about that EMT-b cert, have you been able to use it? What I'm getting at is that if your numbers are below average you want your ECs to be extraordinary. Make sure you have ample clinical exposure.

What type of a post-bacc program would you be interested. My guess is SMP, right? Do your grades show an upward trend? How did you do in your science pre-reqs?

Here's the thing about SMPs. They are extremely high risk. Like, if something goes wrong inside or outside of class and you screw up, that's it, bye bye medical school. SMPs are viewed as a last-ditch tryout to prove yourself capable for medical school. If you got mostly Bs in your prereqs you may not be ready for the rigor of an SMP.

Unfortunately, I don't know what advice to offer you. I'm sure Dr. Midlife has a much better plan then the one I'm about to offer up, so don't take my plan as the gospel.
So, if I were in your shoes here's what I would be thinking.
-MCAT needs to improve. Getting that badboy >30/31 would be extraordinarily helpful for your application. The bonus of MCAT prep: you can take classes and participate in ECs while you study for the MCAT.
-sGPA could use a few more points. Were you a science or an arts major? How many credits of science coursework do you have?
-Your ECs are good. You don't be denied an interview for poor EC activity.

In short, I think you need one of two (or maybe both) things: increased MCAT score, and increased sGPA.

My apologies for jumping all over the place with this response. I'm really at a loss for what your best course of action is. Question: did you apply early and broadly? MD, DO or both?
I agree - it is a high risk. I was a chemistry major and took some very difficult upper level chem classes that brought down my grades. I was also a little burnt out and needed a break. I've been out of school for 3 years and ready to go back.

I applied to in-state M.D. schools and 6 D.O. schools. I'm considering adding more D.O. schools, though. I've taken the MCAT 3 times now. 27Q is my highest score.