Chance me? Do I even have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acceptmeforwhoiam

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
F

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All!!

I took DAT couple weeks ago and I got: 20aa/20ts (+/- 1 points in range)
My GPA is low, with cumulative GPA being 3.29 and science GPA is 3.06.
I have strong extracurricular activities: worked at biomedical research lab and have one publication as a 2nd author and symposium presentations, 1430 hours of volunteering at local hospitals, Africa, and Asia, and fantastic letter of recommendations from professors and a dentist. I don't know if they would be good enough to cover my low GPA, but definitely stronger than my numbers. I am planning to take more science classes in the fall.

I will be applying next week, on June 5th, to many schools broadly. I have about 15 schools in my list that are mostly private schools with my state schools.
Should I consider retaking my DAT to increase my chance? The earliest I can retake is probably late-July.
In all honesty, I was scoring ~17 on Biology section and was surprised to get a 19 on the real one. I'm actually satisfied with my score being so stable, above all cutoffs for schools. I am not sure if I'd want to go through the process of studying again.

I have been reading acceptance threads and some people get in with similar/lower stats than mine and also some private schools' average accepted applicants' numbers are similar to mine as well.

Thanks!
it honestly doesn't sound too bad, you will surely be attending dental school, however it all depends on which school you plan on applying to because each school has different standards, but definitely you can get accepted into a lower end school if you don't mind that.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is so borderline I dont even know what advice to give to you lol. Your DAT is fine, and I wouldnt stress about retaking it when youve already got the scores you think you deserve. If anything is stopping you it would be the GPA and sGPA. I would just apply this cycle and go for schools with lower cutoffs/averages. Make your personal statement and the rest of your application amazing.