Chance me, horrible undergrad start, strong finish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuralMedicineGoals

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the first five years of my undergrad life, I was totally lost and disillusioned with my major (biology), taking part time classes for two of those years, didn't even graduate. My GPA horrible at a 2.4 cum, 2.1 science.

Then at the end of those five years, I decided I needed to get my life together, so I transferred schools into my state school to finish my biology major and also pursue a nursing BSN. The new school (ASU) only allowed me to transfer credits in which I had received at least a C-.

For 3.5 years, I took school very seriously, and recieved straight A's taking around 18 credits a semester. So my last 112 credit hours has a cum gpa of 4.0. Overall with my transfer credits it is a 3.57. Science gpa 3.55.

During that those three years, I also took out whatever extra time I had and studied hard for the MCATs. This summer, I received a score of 40 (13ps, 13bs, 14v).

I have over a year worth of clinical experience from my nursing background, and also worked two years part time as a Pharmacy Technician at the Mayo Clinic.

I intend on applying at my State school (university of Arizona college of medicine), a lot of DO schools, and a lot of lower tier med schools.

I intend on working for a year as an ICU nurse first to get even more patient-contact experience in my hands, and also some money for med school. Does anyone know if I have a good chance of getting into any med school that isn't located in the Carribean, my first 5 years of undergrad haunts me daily. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Being honest.. 3.6/40 puts you at a extremely good chance at a lot of schools. I would get a msar, find schools that have similar stats as you. I personally would say.. 10 schools at your stats, 5 above, and 5 below for a total of 20 schools. In all honesty your stats area amazing + upward trend = you being in a very good position. I would personally say that you could get into a top tier school.

Thanks a lot Serenade. I had no idea I was competitive for any top tier schools. I've also been dealing with Chronic Kidney Disease since the age of 8, will one day require a kidney transplant, but not sure I should mention that to the Med schools in case they see me as unfit for work.

Once again thanks for the input. Any further feedback is also welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
make sure you recalculate your gpa to include all your courses whether your new school has accepted them or not. even with a straight 4.0 for 3.5 years i'm not certain your cume would be a 3.6 when you started out with ~3-4 years' worth of 2.4

make sure you recalculate your gpa to include all your courses whether your new school has accepted them or not. even with a straight 4.0 for 3.5 years i'm not certain your cume would be a 3.6 when you started out with ~3-4 years' worth of 2.4

Including all the F's I received, my cumulative is a 3.42.

With a 3.42/40, provided you have the appropriate ECs, strong LORs, a well-written Personal Statement, and good interview skills, I think that with your plan to apply widely you have an excellent chance of a US med school acceptance.

Besides clinical experience which you'll gain through the workplace, plan on some weekly nonmedical community service, and some formal physician shadowing. If getting involved in some research is an option and you haven't tried it, take it. Also look for leadership or teaching opportunities if youhaven't had any.

Even then.. a 3.42/40 = 74. With an upward trend you're still extremely competitive and could land an acceptance at an upper tier school. Though I'm hoping that you have some research as well to sweeten the deal overall. Either way, I think you'll have absolutely no trouble getting an MD or DO acceptance.