WAMC and School List Help (Horrible Undergrad GPA, Good Post-Bacc GPA, Okay MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conbro13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking for a little help with strategically adding some more schools to my list for this cycle.
  1. Graduated undergrad in 2020 with around a 2.65 GPA. Completed a 32-credit hour post-bacc at same undergrad institution taking all BCPM courses, and earned a 3.73. Unfortunately, my GPA still is below a 3.0 even with my post-bacc GPA factored in, and would take ~70 credits to get it above a 3.0.
  2. Attempt 1 (2019): 493 (125/124/121/123) --> Attempt 2 (2023): 504 (126/124/127/127)
  3. Tennessee resident, strong ties to Georgia (grew up and graduated from high school, parents still live in GA)
  4. White male (ORM)
  5. Large SEC school
  6. 350 hours as a student volunteer in main OR's and day surgery. 1050 hours as a nurse tech/CNA (1800 anticipated), 50 hours of volunteering through Remote Area Medical (RAM) clinics.
  7. 150 hours as a research assistant through work-study during post-bacc, no publications.
  8. 210 shadowing hours; general surgery, plastic surgery, trauma/critical care, anesthesiology (have a lot to talk about with the shadowing program I did, tagged along for a 24-hour call shift with the trauma/crit care residents and got to scrub in on a few cases)
  9. None are listed on my application, but talk about community volunteering and organizing MDA muscle walk through fraternity leadership (250 hours).
  10. Warehouse manager for a year after I graduated undergrad (2060 hours); caretaker for my grandmother who struggles with mental illness for a year (3000 hours); woodworking hobby (400 hours).
  11. none
  12. I struggled A LOT in undergrad. Got very complacent with "C's get degrees", never really pushed myself, and for some reason thought those would be enough for medical school acceptances. I am very forthcoming in my essays about my academic struggles in undergrad and how I changed my study habits to do well in my post-bacc. Post undergrad, I began working as a warehouse manager and moved in with my grandmother to be her caretaker during COVID, realized that taking care of others was my true passion and reenrolled in school to show that the student I was in the past is not the student I am today. I also talk a lot about leadership in my applications and my various experiences. Have had a lot of feedback about my PS/W&A and would rate it above average (very subjective I know).

My current school list:
- ETSU
- USCSOM Greenville
- UT Memphis
- USUHS (dream school as I am very interested in military medicine)
- Wright State (unsure if I should even complete secondary)
- LMU-DCOM
- ACOM
- CUSOM
- DMU-COM
- VCOM
- PCOM (Philly/south ga/ga)
- UPike

Any other recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Boonshoft WSU really likes in-state Ohio.
MSAR shows their previous class to be ~20% OOS, but not sure how many of those students were URM and/or had ties.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not submit the secondaries for Wright State and Greenville since they admit very few (if any ) non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Apply more broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
BCOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
WVSOM
LUCOM
KHSC-COM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
DUQCOM
Orlando (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,
Looking for a little help with strategically adding some more schools to my list for this cycle.
  1. Graduated undergrad in 2020 with around a 2.65 GPA. Completed a 32-credit hour post-bacc at same undergrad institution taking all BCPM courses, and earned a 3.73. Unfortunately, my GPA still is below a 3.0 even with my post-bacc GPA factored in, and would take ~70 credits to get it above a 3.0.
  2. Attempt 1 (2019): 493 (125/124/121/123) --> Attempt 2 (2023): 504 (126/124/127/127)
  3. Tennessee resident, strong ties to Georgia (grew up and graduated from high school, parents still live in GA)
  4. White male (ORM)
  5. Large SEC school
  6. 350 hours as a student volunteer in main OR's and day surgery. 1050 hours as a nurse tech/CNA (1800 anticipated), 50 hours of volunteering through Remote Area Medical (RAM) clinics.
  7. 150 hours as a research assistant through work-study during post-bacc, no publications.
  8. 210 shadowing hours; general surgery, plastic surgery, trauma/critical care, anesthesiology (have a lot to talk about with the shadowing program I did, tagged along for a 24-hour call shift with the trauma/crit care residents and got to scrub in on a few cases)
  9. None are listed on my application, but talk about community volunteering and organizing MDA muscle walk through fraternity leadership (250 hours).
  10. Warehouse manager for a year after I graduated undergrad (2060 hours); caretaker for my grandmother who struggles with mental illness for a year (3000 hours); woodworking hobby (400 hours).
  11. none
  12. I struggled A LOT in undergrad. Got very complacent with "C's get degrees", never really pushed myself, and for some reason thought those would be enough for medical school acceptances. I am very forthcoming in my essays about my academic struggles in undergrad and how I changed my study habits to do well in my post-bacc. Post undergrad, I began working as a warehouse manager and moved in with my grandmother to be her caretaker during COVID, realized that taking care of others was my true passion and reenrolled in school to show that the student I was in the past is not the student I am today. I also talk a lot about leadership in my applications and my various experiences. Have had a lot of feedback about my PS/W&A and would rate it above average (very subjective I know).

My current school list:
- ETSU
- USCSOM Greenville
- UT Memphis
- USUHS (dream school as I am very interested in military medicine)
- Wright State (unsure if I should even complete secondary)
- LMU-DCOM
- ACOM
- CUSOM
- DMU-COM
- VCOM
- PCOM (Philly/south ga/ga)
- UPike

Any other recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
You should look into taking online post-bacc courses (even easy ones). This way, you could take quite a few each semester to really help increase your GPA. I once took online post-bacc courses at multiple schools in one semester and this allowed me to take massive numbers of credits. Obviously it's a lot of work but I think it could help you! I think getting over a 3.0 would be great for you. What is your SES level? Trying to help, just trying to gauge your situation :)