Chance me! Midwestern AZ SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docnunes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had this posted in postbac. but got no love... hoping to get some here.

I will be applying to Midwestern AZ SMP program December-ish for a seat in the class starting 2013... Am I competitive GPA-wise

I have called them a couple of times to see how they calculate their GPA and I have gotten different answers. I am curious as to grade forgiveness and how they divide GPAs (example AACOMAS vs AMCAS or something entirely different). I know each SMP has their own way of doing it, any insight on it would definitely be appreciated!

I guess I can be considered a non-trad. I graduate from a private CA university with a BA in sociology (after taking a sharp turn away from pursuing nursing). I graduated in 2.5 years, burnt out, messed up, went to several other colleges, and now I have (according to AACOMAS and grade forgiveness). I worked hard for the past couple years to get it up.

cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.40
nonsciGPA: 3.47

In AMCAS I have around a 3.0 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA

I attached a break down excel of my gpa. I have two classes left; Ochem I and II. Upward trend past 3 semesters of 4.0.

Medical Experience
Caregiver (assisted living facility)- 1 year (unsure of exact hours)
CNA orthopedic floor (floating as well) - 2007-2009 763.25 hours ;)

Volunteer
Habitat for Humanity - 50 hours+
Homeless Shelters - 100 hours+/-

Extracurricular (not that it entirely matters, but what the heck)
Backpacking
Equestrian Riding

Going to take the GRE because when I called they said they really don't care what exam I take, they don't have a preference. I want to take advantage of their MCAT prep if accepted.

Thank You! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• GPA(AACOMAS).xls
    36.5 KB · Views: 63
I wouldn't waste my time with a masters like that unless for some reason you must attend AZCOM. Otherwise, you're better served by a high MCAT and more retakes.

I wouldn't waste my time with a masters like that unless for some reason you must attend AZCOM. Otherwise, you're better served by a high MCAT and more retakes.

TriagePreMed thanks for the response. Greatly appreciated! If I finish with 4.0s these next two semesters I'll have 3.5s across the board (again with AACOMAS GPA calculation).

I am just trying to build a strong app before applying... Was thinking that a masters in science would strengthen my sociology BA (although I have a solid science foundation). Would love to attend Western or TouroCa for med school. Midwestern is my 3rd choice for med school. When I apply to med school I'll be applying generously.

Forgot to mention I'm only applying DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't waste you $$ on a SMP. Get a 28+ MCAT score, and you are golden.

I really appreciate the responses!

What MCAT score do you think I need to be a solid candidate?

I was just afraid of my handful of W's, retakes, and two F's :confused: I have come a long way from them but I just wanted admission to get it as well. I thought a masters would prove my seriousness. But if it is honestly not needed I won't bother and will apply this upcoming cycle :idea:

I really appreciate the responses!

What MCAT score do you think I need to be a solid candidate?

I was just afraid of my handful of W's, retakes, and two F's :confused: I have come a long way from them but I just wanted admission to get it as well. I thought a masters would prove my seriousness. But if it is honestly not needed I won't bother and will apply this upcoming cycle :idea:
27+ will give you a good shot...Dont worry too much about the Ws and retakes...Concentrate in getting a good mcat score. Good luck.

TBH You could probably get in to one of the newer schools or lower tier schools with a 23 and that GPA