Chance me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Second time applying, I had one pre-December interview at UW last cycle (out of 5 schools I applied) and I could not get in.
WA resident

My stats were
3.25 gpa (somewhat upward trend (!! horrible right?) but went down a bit during my very last semester of undergrad)
3.0 sgpa
DAT: 24 AA 25 TS 21 PAT
~130 hours of shadowing
~120 hours of volunteering
no research

yeah I was 98% sure I would get nothing from my poor gpa and below average extracurricular activities, but I was hoping a miracle with my DAT score and landed an interview. I was happy about it since it made me think that I am not 100% hopeless but still I know I have a lot more to prove. Good thing is I somewhat knew that this would happen so I have been taking courses at the state university, and I will give you my stats for this coming cycle. My semester is not over yet but I am doing really great (all high 90s) and I say I am safe to guess that I will be making all As this semester. That will be 17 credits (5 3-credit courses and 1 2-credit lab course) of As during 2 semesters.

3.34 gpa
3.2 sgpa
DAT: same
~130+100 ish hours of shadowing --> ~230
~120 + 60 ish hours of volunteering --> 180
work experiences (non dental or medical related so I dont know if this would help)
still no research

it seems like the change I will be making is not too great, but I believe 3.2 is quite better than 3.0 science gpa. I think I can write a better personal statement including my experiences during this year.

I am also going to apply at least 10 schools so hopefully I will get some lucky calls

What do you guys think? Any recommendations of what I should do next year?

List of schools I am planning to apply
UW
BU
Tufts
Western
OHSU
UoP
MWU
Roseman
UNE
Touro(?)
Nyu

I guess?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

Second time applying, I had one pre-December interview last cycle (out of 5 schools I applied) and I could not get in.

My stats were
3.25 gpa (somewhat upward trend (!! horrible right?) but went down a bit during my very last semester of undergrad)
3.0 sgpa
~130 hours of shadowing
no research

yeah I was 98% sure I would get nothing from my poor gpa and below average extracurricular activities, but I was hoping a miracle with my DAT score and landed an interview. I was happy about it since it made me think that I am not 100% hopeless but still I know I have a lot more to prove. Good thing is I somewhat knew that this would happen so I have been taking courses at the state university, and I will give you my stats for this coming cycle. My semester is not over yet but I am doing really great (all high 90s) and I say I am safe to guess that I will be making all As this semester. That will be 17 credits (5 3-credit courses and 1 2-credit lab course) of As during 2 semesters.

3.34 gpa
3.2 sgpa
work experiences (non dental or medical related so I dont know if this would help)
still no research

it seems like the change I will be making is not too great, but I believe 3.2 is quite better than 3.0 science gpa. I think I can write a better personal statement including my experiences during this year.

I will also going to apply at least 10 schools so hopefully I will get some lucky calls

Which 5 schools did you apply to last cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd apply to at least 10 schools like you said. Also, remember to get new letters of recommendation (new content, not new writers).

I'd apply to at least 10 schools like you said. Also, remember to get new letters of recommendation (new content, not new writers).
Yeah I will give my undergrad what I have been doing during this year so that they can update my composite letter. I think this is what you meant right?

Hi,

Second time applying, I had one pre-December interview last cycle (out of 5 schools I applied) and I could not get in.

My stats were
3.0 sgpa
~130 hours of shadowing
no research

3.34 gpa
3.2 sgpa
still no research

I will also going to apply at least 10 schools so hopefully I will get some lucky calls

Which state are you a resident of?

Did you actually here back from OHSU? I feel like they never got back to most people who applied

UW
OHSU
Tufts
Arizona
Columbia (this one was kind of for fun..)

You need to apply to more low stat schools, like Western. Also BU and try some of the newer schools, like the school in Maine.

I would definitely apply to schools like LECOM, BU, NYU, UNE, MWU AZ

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely apply to schools like LECOM, BU, NYU, UNE, MWU AZ
I think you need at least 300 volunteer hours for Midwestern

Edit: Or maybe it was ATSU? Sorry if I confused people.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm that you need 300 volunteer hours for Midwestern?

Can anyone confirm that you need 300 volunteer hours for Midwestern?
Might've been ATSU. I always get confused :p

I just know one (or both?) of them places really heavy emphasis on service hours.

Last edited:
If you're talking about A.T. Still (ASDOH), this is the one that places heavy emphasis on service.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
UW also looks for high service hours. Minimum is 100 but admissions have said they prefer to see 400.

apply to a variety of schools! you have really good DAT scores but not so good gpa (i had similar undergrad gpa). I have done a post bacc and I think it helped tremendously with the committee letter and also getting good grades during the post bacc. Schools love positive trends.