MD Chance me pleaseeeeeee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justdoit1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am no expert, but from what I understand, a 6 in VR puts you at extremely slim chances for MD. If I was you, I'd save the ~$4k on MD apps and just apply DO and run with it.

Yes, slim chances. But that verbal though.

If by chance you are URM then your chances become very decent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, slim chances. But that verbal though.

If by chance you are URM then your chances become very decent.
Non-URM, but ESL. I'm also applying to a couple of DO schools. Is the 6 on verbal really that big of an issue?

I'm afraid that it will be lethal for MD schools...but everything else in your app looks so good that I suggest trying your state schools, Oakland-B, Western MI, NYMC, Albany, and VCU and many more DO programs, and see how the cycle shakes out. DO schools will give you more slack on the VR6.

I think it's a killer especially since you also are showing adcoms a previous 4.

@gyngyn @Goro

I'm afraid that it will be lethal for MD schools...but everything else in your app looks so good that I suggest trying your state schools, Oakland-B, Western MI, NYMC, Albany, and VCU and many more DO programs, and see how the cycle shakes out. DO schools will give you more slack on the VR6.
Thanks for the honest replies. Do you think that I would have a chance at schools like Quinnipiac, Creighton (I have a lot of community service experience), Rosland Franklin, Einstein, or UCONN (IS)? Also, do you think top-tier DO schools are a possibility?

Last edited:
Yes for the DO schools, and weak maybe for Rosy and the rest. You're below the 10th %ile for them, but someone has to be in that demographic...why not you?

But no to Einstein. I'd try Albany or NYMC instead.

Thanks for the honest replies. Do you think that I would have a chance at schools like Quinnipiac, Creighton (I have a lot of community service experience), Rosland Franklin, Einstein, or UCONN (IS)? Also, do you think top-tier DO schools is a possibility?

Well you have two options:

1. Apply heavily to DO schools, along with your state schools and few other MD schools Goro mentioned.

2. Retake the MCAT to score a 10+ equivalent in VR/CARS.

It's a curious split that you did well in the sciences but tanked in verbal since all sections require comprehension and analysis. I'm pretty certain you can overcome your ESL status and excel with focused and improved practice. Doing so (and coupled with your ECs, background and Top UG) will open a lot of doors for you.

But it's your call in the end. I'm just saying the verbal issue can be overcome, especially for someone who graduated among top of their class at a top UG.

1. Apply heavily to DO schools, along with your state schools and few other MD schools Goro mentioned.

It's a curious split that you did well in the sciences but tanked in verbal since all sections require comprehension and analysis. I'm pretty certain you can overcome your ESL status and excel with focused and improved practice. Doing so (and coupled with your ECs, background and Top UG) will open a lot of doors for you.

But it's your call in the end. I'm just saying the verbal issue can be overcome, especially for someone who graduated among top of their class at a top UG.
Thanks for your input. I've already submitted my secondaries for about 25 MD schools. My DO app just got verified two days ago, so I'll start working on those too. After all of my secondaries are in, I plan to do a couple of verbal practice passages everyday just in case this cycle doesn't go well for me and I have to retake the MCAT.

@Goro even though my low verbal score puts me in the bottom 10% for verbal for all of the schools, do you think that this would put my whole application in the bottom 10%?

do you think that this would put my whole application in the bottom 10%?

It means less than 10% of accepted students have that score so yes, it relates to you in terms of your whole package. You have a great GPA, you have pretty standard but good ECs, and your top 15 school wont matter. Two low verbals can really be a killer for MD. Many of the schools will unfortunately have a cutoff of 7 or 8

If only it were that easy to just decide to retake the MCAT and go and get a 10+ on CARS. OP has probably maxed out their MCAT verbal ability(retaking and improving by 1 point or so won't do much).

You never listed your state of residency. Note your state school if you live even in a decently lucky state will be where your odds are BY FAR the best. Many states schools interview 1/3+ of their IS applicants. There are many state schools that have median MCATs in the 28-30 range which are the types of schools that might be willing to look past a 6 verbal. All these private schools Goro are listing while you might have a shot at only interview around 5% or so of IS applicants.

You have a very good application outside of your verbal score(the type of app that can get people into top 20 schools). Obviously you won't be applying to the big names but I think it is worthwhile to go ahead with MD applications and see what happens. There will be alot of DO schools willing to overlook the 6 particularly with your application.

Check MSAR for any of the typical lower tier private schools with 10th percentile verbals in the 7-8 range. I do know a couple people who have gotten MD II's with 6's in verbal(one at NYMC which Goro listed). There have been people who get into MD's with 6 verbals.(non URMs). Given how strong the rest of your application is and your ESL status, you are the type of app that could potentially have a shot at being one of them but it will take a very strong application and you really need to absolutely nail any II that you might get.

I don't have MSAR on me but here are some schools that I might perhaps give some consideration to. These are all long shots but you have to make the best with what you have.
WVU
TCMC
GW
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
VCU
NYMC
Albany
Your state schools
Rosalind
Wright State(maybe)

Members don't see this ad :)
If only it were that easy to just decide to retake the MCAT and go and get a 10+ on CARS. OP has probably maxed out their MCAT verbal ability(retaking and improving by 1 point or so won't do much).

You never listed your state of residency. Note your state school if you live even in a decently lucky state will be where your odds are BY FAR the best. Many states schools interview 1/3+ of their IS applicants. There are many state schools that have median MCATs in the 28-30 range which are the types of schools that might be willing to look past a 6 verbal. All these private schools Goro are listing while you might have a shot at only interview around 5% or so of IS applicants.

You have a very good application outside of your verbal score(the type of app that can get people into top 20 schools). Obviously you won't be applying to the big names but I think it is worthwhile to go ahead with MD applications and see what happens. There will be alot of DO schools willing to overlook the 6 particularly with your application.

Check MSAR for any of the typical lower tier private schools with 10th percentile verbals in the 7-8 range. I do know a couple people who have gotten MD II's with 6's in verbal(one at NYMC which Goro listed). There have been people who get into MD's with 6 verbals.(non URMs). Given how strong the rest of your application is and your ESL status, you are the type of app that could potentially have a shot at being one of them but it will take a very strong application and you really need to absolutely nail any II that you might get.

I don't have MSAR on me but here are some schools that I might perhaps give some consideration to. These are all long shots but you have to make the best with what you have.
WVU
TCMC
GW
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
VCU
NYMC
Albany
Your state schools
Rosalind
Wright State(maybe)

I don't know if I can improve the verbal, but I sure as heck will give it all I have if this cycle doesn't go well. Which is why I plan to start getting back into the rhythm of doing verbal passages ASAP.

I've already filled out secondaries and paid for about 30 schools. See list at end of this post.

I'm hoping that I get at least one or two MD II's, so I can really show them who I am. Once again, thanks for your honest replies.

Schools I've filled out secondaries for (I know I have next to no chance at some of these schools, but I had to try) :

Quinnipiac
Einstein
Rosland Franklin
Drexel
George Washington
Hofstra
NY Medical College
Penn State
Rush University
Creighton
Virgina Commonwealth
Wright State
Western Michigan Uni

DO schools I've applied to so far:
Michigan State

LECOM
NYIT

Last edited:
Thank you! This helps us advise others in your situation as time goes on.
Let us know how it goes.
Happy to help. Will keep you guys updated. Still waiting on >20 MD schools, and 2 DO schools. Thanks for your advice, and support!

Reactions: 1 user
Wait what were your stats? I'm applying to NYIT and about to submit their secondary, I have volunteer experiences but they're not looking for anything too amazing right?

Wait what were your stats? I'm applying to NYIT and about to submit their secondary, I have volunteer experiences but they're not looking for anything too amazing right?
mcat 31 (b-13, p-12, v-6)
3.8 cgpa
3.9sgpa