This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Potato_Tomato

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated in Fall 2025, and here are my stats. I am wanting advice and brutal honesty.

In-state NC resident
Cheating IA on an exam senior year (Not on the transcript but on Dean's certification/disciplinary record)
3.55 cGPA
3.47 sGPA
520 MCAT
6000 Clinical work hours
100 Non-clinical volunteer hours
100 Clinical volunteer hours
URM
Leadership in pre-health organization

My advisor recommended that i do a year long post bac or SMP (30 credits of upper level coursework). I was wondering if I am better off switching to pre-PA for a shorter, cheaper route, or if I am safe to apply the next cycle. I am open to DO but hope to go MD and stay in state if possible, but i know my stats arent as good as well as my IA making things very limiting. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you shadowed PA's? Your GPA isn't that bad that an SMP is necessary, but that was a very dumb decision to cheat your senior year. I think CASPA requires disclosure of your institutional actions, and at last check, they expressly prohibit use of genAI (though I don't know how that's enforceable).


In general, your IA puts you back at least a few years... your current MCAT score may expire.
 
A cheating IA in senior year is exceptionally bad. It's becoming clear how rampant cheating has become in higher education, but you are still up against many applicants with clean records.

Brutal honesty: set all this aside for 3 years and go get a job. Come back and revisit this when you can make a valid claim that you've matured and have some perspective on the incident.

Also, PA programs are competitive. There is no reason to think you'll have any luck with them in the short-term.