Chance me ? pls (Florida schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

should i retake my DAT ? or just keep taking more post bach classses and work on the rest of my ap?

• retake DAT 19 AA isnt impressive and 16 in math kills your app

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • youre fine take more classes / shadow more etc

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Elusive011

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: Next cycle
Overall GPA: 3.37
Science GPA: 3.37
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.37
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA, 18PAT, 17 RC, 16 QR, 19TS, Bio: 19, Chem: 18, Orgo: 23
State of Residence:
Florida
-- APPLYING TO LECOM, NOVA, UF (specifically what is my chances for there and tips for them)
Undergrad Attended:
Florida International University
Major: Biology
Minor: NA
Minority? Hispanic / middle eastern ???
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: 300
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: part time job; Repair computers / Pcs (use your hands a lot)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to retake the DAT ? In your opinion ?
You could have a chance without retaking if you get the GPA up, but you have to work really hard to get A’s. Make sure you submit your application early (June).

Don’t be surprised if you eventually end up having to retake because the QR (less important) and RC (much more important) are below average, but I think it’s not necessary if you get the grades up as mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the input and hoping more people give their input as well with their personal experiences (close stats to mine).

Im struggling on deciding on what I SHOULD do to make myself more competitive. Im making my decision by January, However i really dont know what to do. I truly wish that taking 4 or 5 more classes (and improving my overall app) would be the "right choice" and then applying early in June but will that even be enough? Id assume my GPA would get to 3.40s if i do get all As but again i dont know for sure. Taking more courses to me seems like an easier route personally but does that also mean it wont look as good as retaking the DAT and scoring a 20-21 AA ?

I honestly do not want to retake the DAT, I studied for 6 months and got pretty average scores. Im not sure if I can even do better if I retake, that test was so HARD. I felt the DAT was so random, particularly the BIO section, like only 20-30 % of that material was covered and I had to remember stuff from my undergrad to answer most questions. (materials used: Bootcamp / Destroyer) After leaving the test center i wanted a retake immediately but after thinking about it for a couple weeks im not sure what to do, I know the average matriculate has a 19 AA and usually a higher Gpa.

Last edited:
Upon reading your post again I noticed you have no mention of volunteering. You won't get in without any. Aim for 100+.

There is no denying your stats are below average. A DAT retake would benefit you but there are plenty of posters with worse stats than yours who gain an admittance. They applied to a lot of schools, had great extracurriculars, and probably had compelling personal statements. You are an underrepresented minority (URM) and that will benefit you since dental schools want to recruit minorities but you can't rely on that.

The 16QR is bad, the 17RC is worse. If you retook the DAT are you confident you could get a 21? I don't think it's worth your time unless you change your studying habits because the DAT is not a hard test. It is a long exam but it tests over breadth rather than depth.

I think you will get admittances with your current DAT if you keep shadowing and are willing to go out of state. If you have the budget apply to MWU-AZ, MWU-IL, ASDOH, Howard, and Meharry but those are all expensive private schools.

I will definitely work on my extracurriculars, until the next cycle starts, any advice on where i could volunteer? Prior to this post I did not even know URM existed, certainly will be looking into this.

Also, I honestly dont know if I can score a 21 on the DAT, I really gave it my all the first time. I used Bootcamp / Destroyer and really had to relearn all the material from undergrad since some of the subjects were taken 4 or 5 years before. I pretty much used the first 4-5 months to learn the material and had about a month and a half to do practice exams / problems. 60 percent of the time was spent studying for chemistry / orgo. Ive been thinking about this prep course called "iprep dental" but its expensive.

Would taking more classes and getting As in all of them be valued less than if i were to get a 21 on a retake? I have about 6 months left till next cycle and I want to have my application in early. I really dont want to study for the DAT and also take more courses since I believe I really need to focus on one to do really well. Guess im really just asking what would look better?

Last edited:
I heard Nova automatically rejects anyone who doesn’t have a 20AA but your orgo 23 is stellar!!

Also, I heard Florida schools are highly preferrential to instate students (I go to UCF and I’m applying next cycle)

Try and volunteer at a dental clinic because it’s a 2 for 1!

I think that your DAT and GPA are both on the borderline of requiring attention. You just need to pick one, make the improvement, and then apply. Personally, I would choose to retake and study for the DAT because it is "easier" to make a drastic change and also will cost only about $1000 if you get the right study materials vs taking more classes.

By easier here, I mean that at the end of a degree, changing your GPA by any significant amount requires taking many many classes and getting A's in all of them. So multiple difficult semesters/quarters required. Where taking the DAT is a single event that can be prepared for in 2-3 months.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, I heard Florida schools are highly preferrential to instate students (I go to UCF and I’m applying next cycle)
Depends which school. LECOM does not have a preference for IS students. In fact, the tuition is the exact same for all students.

Highly appreciate all the feedback! Believe it or not you guys were more helpful than some of the advisers Ive spoken to over the phone. They dont give a direct answer as there is no "magic formula". However, I do think you all make valid points.

1) Raising a post bachelors GPA is a lot harder than it seems, specially when i have taken over 158 credits. (got an AA 1st)
2) Ive also heard a lot about NOVA requiring a higher DAT, it seems like most Florida schools require a 20 AA and above preferably a 21. I really hope I can do this. The last 6 months were brutal.

I think Im just going to retake this D: Last question before I get annoying, for my retake what resources should I use? Iprep Dental or Destroyer/Bootcamp for a second time?

Like I said above, both resources (bootcamp / destroyer) were awesome i know many people use them and have great success specially for chemistry and orgo. However biology on the other hand, I felt like Bootcamp was sooo narrowly structured. My biology test was sooo broad that I had to use mostly my undergrad courses as a reference to answer the majority of questions. I had heard of Iprep when I went to NOVA to ask questions. However I havent heard much about it on this site.

Highly appreciate all the feedback! Believe it or not you guys were more helpful than some of the advisers Ive spoken to over the phone. They dont give a direct answer as there is no "magic formula". However, I do think you all make valid points.

1) Raising a post bachelors GPA is a lot harder than it seems, specially when i have taken over 158 credits. (got an AA 1st)
2) Ive also heard a lot about NOVA requiring a higher DAT, it seems like most Florida schools require a 20 AA and above preferably a 21. I really hope I can do this. The last 6 months were brutal.

I think Im just going to retake this D: Last question before I get annoying, for my retake what resources should I use? Iprep Dental or Destroyer/Bootcamp for a second time?

Like I said above, both resources (bootcamp / destroyer) were awesome i know many people use them and have great success specially for chemistry and orgo. However biology on the other hand, I felt like Bootcamp was sooo narrowly structured. My biology test was sooo broad that I had to use mostly my undergrad courses as a reference to answer the majority of questions. I had heard of Iprep when I went to NOVA to ask questions. However I havent heard much about it on this site.
I used Destroyer and CourseSaver videos alongside BootCamp for my exam.

I will say that I wouldn’t study over a long period like 6 months. I studied for 2.5 months, and that was a lot longer than anyone I spoke to about it. After that kind of time has passed, you are bound to start forgetting things. I recommend that you follow Ari’s schedule and stretch it out to 3 months of studying at the most.

Reactions: 2 users

But honestly it's not just bio. You need improvement in RC, QR, and Chem too. I also agree with @DSchoolorBust202X. I studied about 2 months. It is a difficult exam, but you can do it.

I used Destroyer and CourseSaver videos alongside BootCamp for my exam.

I will say that I wouldn’t study over a long period like 6 months. I studied for 2.5 months, and that was a lot longer than anyone I spoke to about it. After that kind of time has passed, you are bound to start forgetting things. I recommend that you follow Ari’s schedule and stretch it out to 3 months of studying at the most.
This is basically exactly what I did as well and saw significant improvements. Don't cheap out on your materials, just bite the bullet and get the best because even getting 1 more question right can make a change of several points depending on the section.

The 16 QR is not a huge deal (least important section) in my own experience but the rest of the scores are. I would re-take it and aim for 20+, especially in all the sciences and Reading.

I used Iprep in summer 2017 and went from a 16 AA to 20 AA. I also got sick right before my DAT, so I am sure that affected my score a bit. I highly recommend Iprep but I also know that it is slightly different from when I took the course. Regardless, it is expensive and it is worth it if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

UF prefers IS more than Nova and LECOM. UF is one of the top dental schools and they love a lot of shadowing hours (300-400+) and volunteer hours. Nova usually likes at least a 20 AA & TS because they know a lot of their applicants use Iprep. I personally am not a fan of LECOM but, they take the least amount of IS and I have no clue what they favor for admissions.

I used Iprep in summer 2017 and went from a 16 AA to 20 AA. I also got sick right before my DAT, so I am sure that affected my score a bit. I highly recommend Iprep but I also know that it is slightly different from when I took the course. Regardless, it is expensive and it is worth it if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

UF prefers IS more than Nova and LECOM. UF is one of the top dental schools and they love a lot of shadowing hours (300-400+) and volunteer hours. Nova usually likes at least a 20 AA & TS because they know a lot of their applicants use Iprep. I personally am not a fan of LECOM but, they take the least amount of IS and I have no clue what they favor for admissions.

THANK YOU so much for recommending IPREP! iv only seen a few post on it on this forum and everyone seems to score above a 19 AA! I got a 19 AA and 19 TS on my first attempt but i studied for at least 6 months! So im feeling very discouraged about hitting my "limits" as far as this test goes, however i really hope i can get at least a 21 AA.

Last edited:
Not an ad, and I wasn't paid at all for endorsing the program, but iPrep is really good. Instructor rocks, teaches you exactly what you need to know for the chems and her shortcuts and memory tricks are excellent. Bio is on you to learn, she gives you good resources and decent practice questions, but there's no secret to bio other than just knowledge

I was very skeptical about it since there's not much information about the course and I didn't know anyone who used it. Her website was pretty rough around the edges when I used it last Spring, but it was the first rollout of it and I'm sure it's great now. Extremely pricey, but very worth it if you utilize it well and get a high score. She lets you know in the beginning though, the work is on you to get the high score. She gives you the resources but you have to be dedicated and study your butt off like it's your job to do well
I got a 23 AA 23 TS and 26 RC. I think she said her average is a 20-21 and from how my class did, that seemed true to me

THANK YOU so much for recommending IPREP! iv only seen a few post on it on this forum and everyone seems to score above a 19 AA! I got a 19 AA and 19 TS on my first attempt but i studied for at least 6 months! So im feeling very discouraged about hitting my "limits" as far as this test goes, however i really hope i can get at least a 21 AA.

BTW, even the dean recommended IPREP and called the teacher of the program a "warden of the DAT" wish i used this on the first attempt! Guess this is enough of a recommendation for me to pull the trigger! Will most likely start studying for my second attempt, ive taken 2 months off since my last test so i hope that doesnt effect my go at it. How long did you wait before studying for the 2nd attempt

My first attempt was December 2016 and then I retook it beginning of August 2017. I was also in the May group so most people took their DAT from mid July to early August.

Taking time off from your last attempt is good imo. I say this because iprep is catered to be about 8-12 weeks of hardcore studying before your DAT. The tips and tricks you learn in the program really do cut down your time and I was able to review every section except math. Good luck to you! I am sure you will get 21+, especially if your first attempt was 19