Chance me/School list 3.87 GPA, 524 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inasaur

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little bit about me:

Details
  • resident of VA
  • top 30 undergrad school
Stats
  • 3.88 cGPA
  • 3.84 sGPA
  • 524 MCAT (130, 131, 131, 132)
Honors/Awards
  • graduated Phi Beta Kappa
  • winner of $15,000 scholarship
Clinical experience:
  • about 1 year, 450 hours EMT experience
  • about 60 hours of shadowing across 5 different specialties
Research
  • over 2 years of research experience
  • One poster presentation.
  • funding award
Non-Clinical volunteering
  • about 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering, mostly tutoring disadvantaged groups
Other
  • TA for two different professors
  • paid tutoring job for over 2 year w/ director position
  • competed in National level tournaments\
  • one student org leadership position
School list (in no particular order)
VCU
UVA
EVMS
VT Carillion
Pitt
UCSF
USC
Duke
GW
georgetown
cornell
columbia
Miami
UMD
vanderbilt
emory
drexel
UPenn
Tulane
Central FL(I have family in orlando)

Chance me? I appreciate any feedback you have for my school list! If you have any suggestions for schools to add/ take away, that would be great! I'm a little bit concerned it's too long.

EDIT:
removed some details for anonymity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A little bit about me:

Details
  • resident of VA
  • top 30 undergrad school
  • both parents were refugees from Asia
  • URM: no
  • GPA upward trend: yes, up from 3.66
Stats
  • 3.87 cGPA (2 Ws, both for medical reasons)
  • 3.83 sGPA
  • 524 MCAT (130, 131, 131, 132)
Honors/Awards
  • graduated Phi Beta Kappa
  • winner of $15,000 Dean's scholarship
  • two-time winner of small scholarship from my mom's employer
Clinical experience:
  • about 1 year, 450 hours EMT experience
  • about 60 hours of shadowing across 5 different specialties
Research
  • over 2 years of research experience in neuroscience lab.
  • One poster presentation.
  • won an award from my undergrad institution to fund an independent research project.
Non-Clinical volunteering
  • about 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering, mostly tutoring kids/community college students who can't afford it
Other
  • TA for two different professors (biochemistry and physical chemistry: quantum theory
  • paid tutoring job for over 2 years (mostly SAT/ACT, math, science for high school kids); just got hired to start their MCAT prep program
  • competed in National level tournaments for tae kwon do sparring during my sophomore year of college
  • housing treasurer for professional fraternity - oversaw $300,000 rennovation
School list (in no particular order)
VCU
UVA
EVMS
VT Carillion
Pitt
UCSF
USC
Duke
GW
georgetown
cornell
columbia
Miami
UMD
vanderbilt
emory
drexel
UPenn
Tulane
Central FL(I have family in orlando)

Chance me? I appreciate any feedback you have for my school list! If you have any suggestions for schools to add/ take away, that would be great! I'm a little bit concerned it's too long.

I think your chances are excellent.

You'll probably be asked about the semester where you had two Ws so be ready.

Based on your school list, were you intentionally trying to avoid schools that really emphasize research like Stanford, Hopkins and Harvard?

It's probably too late but NYU would have been a good addition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your chances are excellent.

You'll probably be asked about the semester where you had two Ws so be ready.

Based on your school list, were you intentionally trying to avoid schools that really emphasize research like Stanford, Hopkins and Harvard?

It's probably too late but NYU would have been a good addition.

This thread is kind of old, but NYU and Harvard did end up on making my list! I avoided Hopkins because I've visited before and just didn't vibe well with the school. As for Standford, I got the sense that they were really looking for pubs and I have none.

The two Ws were not in the same semester. They were about two years apart. Both were for health reasons (frequent migraines, concussion), so I think I have a good explanation.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is kind of old, but NYU and Harvard did end up on making my list! I avoided Hopkins because I've visited before and just didn't vibe well with the school. As for Standford, I got the sense that they were really looking for pubs and I have none.

The two Ws were not in the same semester. They were about two years apart. Both were for health reasons (frequent migraines, concussion), so I think I have a good explanation.

Out of curiosity, what made you think Stanford wanted publications more than, say Harvard or Hopkins?

And what about Hopkins' vibe deterred you from applying?

Out of curiosity, what made you think Stanford wanted publications more than, say Harvard or Hopkins?

And what about Hopkins' vibe deterred you from applying?

Standford: They're the only one that specifically asks for a list of pubs in the secondary.

Hopkins: I have a friend that goes to JHU, and one time he introduced me to some of his med student acquaintances. I'm not sure if it was just the particular people I talked to, but they just seemed extremely competitive. Perhaps I'm wrong, but my interaction was negative enough to deter me from applying.