chance of acceptance

Started by punjabiv
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

punjabiv

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi, i am kinda lost in deciding whether I'm going to apply to a Special Master's Program here in the states, or to medical school in Ireland or the Caribbean.

i was wondering if I have a chance of getting into Ross, SABA, or SGU with a 3.05 undergrad GPA and a 35 on the MCATs. What do you guys think?

thanks
 
Sounds great. Give it a shot; you probably have a great chance. I believe you can do it. Best wishes!🙂
 
....i was wondering if I have a chance of getting into Ross, SABA, or SGU with a 3.05 undergrad GPA and a 35 on the MCATs. What do you guys think?

thanks

You have a good chance to get into a DO program with those stats, but that of course also depends on your other credentials.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i really dont want to go to a DO school though. I'm looking to go to an allopathic school.

Are they decent enough stats to get me into SGU, Ross, or SABA?
 
i really dont want to go to a DO school though. I'm looking to go to an allopathic school.

Are they decent enough stats to get me into SGU, Ross, or SABA?

I think you maybe slightly under the average GPA for a Caribbean medical sudent, but no need to split hairs. Your MCAT score is excellent, and balances the numerical value of your application.

But what about the rest of your application, I'm assuming you have more to offer than just your GPA and MCAT score.
 
i think i'm going to go ahead and try for an SMP before i go for a school in the caribbean, but I want to know if I will even get into one of the top 3 caribbean schools if I applied.

also, by the time i apply my GPA should be a 3.1 (if that helps any lol) and i do have some great EC's

yea, i figure my MCAT score and some good excuses for low grades will give me the edge.
 
hi, i am kinda lost in deciding whether I'm going to apply to a Special Master's Program here in the states, or to medical school in Ireland or the Caribbean.

i was wondering if I have a chance of getting into Ross, SABA, or SGU with a 3.05 undergrad GPA and a 35 on the MCATs. What do you guys think?

thanks


Your pulling our leg right, your actually saying you can't get into a US allo school with a 35 MCAT?:laugh:

My buddy just got into Indiana U Med school with a 32 Mcat and 3.3 GPA.

And with that score you can get into SABA no question unless you have a police record, deaf mute or an A-hole.
 
i think i'm going to go ahead and try for an SMP before i go for a school in the caribbean, but I want to know if I will even get into one of the top 3 caribbean schools if I applied.

also, by the time i apply my GPA should be a 3.1 (if that helps any lol) and i do have some great EC's

yea, i figure my MCAT score and some good excuses for low grades will give me the edge.

You know have even applied to US medschools yet? Or you believe the crap posted by people on SDN .....................the you will never get in bullcrap, I know stories after stories, then the Caribbean with a 3.0 and 35 MCAT
IS NO PROBLEM, look don't base your life on what somebody you have know idea who they are posts on the internet, they could be in prison posting for all you know.................................................LOL:laugh:
 
well my advisor said my GPA is gonna kill me, cuz its actually my GPA after a few retaken courses and the AMCAS calculates your GPA before the retaken courses. So basically my med school application GPA is gonna be around 2.8-2.9 which will def not get me in (at least i think).

The SMP's have a minimum GPA of 3.0 so i figured med schools would not even look at me unless i got a 40 on the MCATS haha. But i really appreciate the encouragement guys. I'm definitely going to apply to schools in the states.

And no i have no criminal record haha
 
well my advisor said my GPA is gonna kill me, cuz its actually my GPA after a few retaken courses and the AMCAS calculates your GPA before the retaken courses. So basically my med school application GPA is gonna be around 2.8-2.9 which will def not get me in (at least i think).

The SMP's have a minimum GPA of 3.0 so i figured med schools would not even look at me unless i got a 40 on the MCATS haha. But i really appreciate the encouragement guys. I'm definitely going to apply to schools in the states.

And no i have no criminal record haha

Advisors do not know crap, really, I would apply with a 35 and a 3.0 because if you did better then your upward trend will show and your grades are good enough for DO. 😎
 
well my advisor said my GPA is gonna kill me, cuz its actually my GPA after a few retaken courses and the AMCAS calculates your GPA before the retaken courses. So basically my med school application GPA is gonna be around 2.8-2.9 which will def not get me in (at least i think).

The SMP's have a minimum GPA of 3.0 so i figured med schools would not even look at me unless i got a 40 on the MCATS haha. But i really appreciate the encouragement guys. I'm definitely going to apply to schools in the states.

And no i have no criminal record haha

Do a masters then and boost the GPA if you wanna stay in the states. If you would rather get going on your medical education then apply to the top 4 carb schools. If I had a 35 MCAT I would take some grad courses then reapply and stay in the states.
 
SABAMED, i think thats what i'm going to do. The Special Master's Programs i'm looking into have a very high (80%+) acceptance rate into a US Allopathic school in the first year.

Thanks for everyones advice.
 
punjabiv, if you dont mind me asking, what special masters program are you looking at?
 
I was accepted to both St. George and the AUC for the 2007 class. Had to attend interviews for both. I had a 22L MCAT and a 3.2 (bombed the physical portion on the MCAT), no volunteer work, no publications, participated in 1 research lab. Im lucky to get in (was borderline). So, THERE'S Hope..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad