Chance of Burnout in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been in college now for 12 years straight and I haven't even started medical school yet. Well, actually I took a year off about 5 years ago before I started on my graduate degree, and I think the time off helped.

With that said however, my grad degree didn't call for me to use any retained information from my undergraduate degree. I guess that's my concern about taking some more time off before I apply to medical school. I know that med school will require that I remember the information I've gained presently in my pre-req science classes and I don't want too much time to elapse between the two.

I dunnno. Even after all these years, I've never really felt burnt out on school. Maybe I'm just bored with this winter break and have too much time to dwell on what-ifs.

Members don't see this ad.

I have yet to see it happen in any of my students, even the ones who've crashed and burned. Medical students are rather well driven people.

So, I've been in college now for 12 years straight and I haven't even started medical school yet. Well, actually I took a year off about 5 years ago before I started on my graduate degree, and I think the time off helped.

With that said however, my grad degree didn't call for me to use any retained information from my undergraduate degree. I guess that's my concern about taking some more time off before I apply to medical school. I know that med school will require that I remember the information I've gained presently in my pre-req science classes and I don't want too much time to elapse between the two.

I dunnno. Even after all these years, I've never really felt burnt out on school. Maybe I'm just bored with this winter break and have too much time to dwell on what-ifs.

Much of what you learned in the pre-req classes will either not be of use (even if you remember it) or will be rehashed in some form or another so recalling it from so far back won't be a big deal. I had a few years between undergrad and medical school and I couldn't repeat any physics equations or organic chemistry reactions and I made out just fine. Anything that's important will be covered again.

The biggest reason that you won't get burned out is simple. If you really want to go to med school and are interested enough to go through everything to get there then the core science classes (boring as they may be) will be interesting to you because unlike your undergrad science classes which don't really look at science through the "medical" lens these courses show you how biochemistry, pharmacology, etc matter in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)

People were trying to bring up past chemical redox reactions and physics in our intro molecular bio and musculoskeletal classes. They're not of use - like pianoman said, everything will be rehashed in a graspable form. Most subjects will require only basic information from your undergrad classes; med school won't delve into as much nitpicky detail as undergrad, unless it relates to human function and medicine.

The classmates you hang out with and study with will keep you sane.

You only really have to use what your learn in undergraduate science courses for the MCAT. Whatever you will need to know for medical school in terms of basic science, they will cover again. The only example I could really think of where we had to know stuff from college would be pH and acid / base stuff.

It is tough to say if you still burnout or not. Were you taking full course loads for 12 years? I don't think can do medical school part-time, so if you're not used to studying for most of the day, it'll be a big change. Not everyone who gets in to medical school makes it.

Would you rather be working in Best Buy 9-5 every day or studying, learning, challenging yourself?

lol BRO you wont need to remember anything from undergrad for med school. The things you will need to carry over are very basic concepts etc. I took 5 years off between undergrad and med school. Yeah i had a masters in between but it wasnt anything that carried over too much. You will be fine.

And burnout is pretty significant in med school at certain times. You push through it though. I am burnt out as HELL right now personally. My wedding is in 2 weeks, my bachelor party was 2 weeks ago...im just chillin and going through the motions. Step 1 studying begins in a few months so im sort of trying to protect myself being burnt out at the most crucial point in my med school career.

Thanks everybody for your replies. Feeling much better. :thumbup:

Thanks everybody for your replies. Feeling much better. :thumbup:

Youll be fine. Just gotta stamp ur feet and move along! One thing that helps me when im burnt is to return to focus to myself. Kill it in the gym for a few weeks and get huge and im back on my A game :) Good luck

I am burnt out as HELL right now personally. My wedding is in 2 weeks, my bachelor party was 2 weeks ago...im just chillin and going through the motions.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!

This is a comforting thread. I was curious about burnout as well... although, I've always found ways to push through it in the past so I wasn't too worried.