You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Will a 19 PAT ruin my chances of getting into Columbia, Michigan, UCLA, Harvard, and UIC if my gpa is 3.9+ and 24AA??
Thanks.

:troll:
Huh?
:troll:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted678432
No. But if they see you got a C or lower on any test throughout college... you may have to switch to a different school caliber/ profession
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
3.9 what exactly?
2599 actuallyOkay my son, with a 3.9+ and a 24AA, good PS, EC, and interview skills, you can go anywhere you want.
I bet you also have a 30QR![]()
Last edited:
.3.9 what exactly?
Last edited:
S
schmoob
So you didn't think it was important enough to prepare for PAT?Will a 19 PAT ruin my chances of getting into Columbia, Michigan, UCLA, Harvard, and UIC if my gpa is 3.9+ and 24AA??
Thanks.
That's what I would ask if I was admissions at Harvard.
So you didn't think it was important enough to prepare for PAT?
That's what I would ask if I was admissions at Harvard.
.
Last edited:
Uhmm so what is a good school?
Uhmm so what is a good school?
Any school with a total cost of attendance greater than $500k
.I think some of the reaction you're getting here is because this post comes off as a little tone deaf on a few fronts.
First, a 3.9+ with a 24AA is a very, very competitive set of stats. There are not many people who have both a GPA that high and a DAT that high. If you had a 15 or 16 PAT, that could indicate a red flag, but since a 19 PAT is either average or slightly below average, it is just one aspect of your application that doesn't shine brightly. It is absolutely nothing to worry about.
Second, only considering Columbia, Michigan, UCLA, Harvard, and UIC is also a little bit tone deaf. A good school is one to which you've been accepted, where you feel like you'll be able to grow and excel, and preferably one that doesn't set you back just short of half a million dollars.
The short answer to your questions is that the 19 PAT will not hold you back in the admissions process at any school, given your GPA and DAT. Make sure the intangibles or your application/your interview skills are good enough to match the numbers.
Best of luck with the application process. If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.
Last edited:
I dont think that makes the school any less good.Any school with a total cost of attendance greater than $500k
I agree the tuition is a "little" pricey, but that doesnt mean they wont give you a proper education and provide you the best opportunities.
Then again, Everyone definition of "good" school is very different
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The question was "what is a good school?" And he answered "any school with a COA greater than $500k"I dont think that makes the school any less good.
I agree the tuition is a "little" pricey, but that doesnt mean they wont give you a proper education and provide you the best opportunities.
Then again, Everyone definition of "good" school is very different
So, he meant that only schools with that COA are a "good school", not the contrary.
However, he was being sarcastic.
There's only 6 schools with a COA greater than $500.
I just realized I totally misread thatThe question was "what is a good school?" And he answered "any school with a COA greater than $500k"
So, he meant that only schools with that COA are a "good school", not the contrary.
However, he was being sarcastic.
There's only 6 schools with a COA greater than $500.

I guess I need to stop drinking
There's only 6 schools with a COA greater than $500.
Exactly...and those are the best ones 😉
Drinking is bad for your teethI just realized I totally misread that
I guess I need to stop drinking
Oh well that's what dental school forDrinking is bad for your teeth![]()
So, you are saying that MUSC is the second best debtal schoolExactly...and those are the best ones 😉
So, you are saying that MUSC is the second best debtal school![]()
Heck yeah!
Nah but for real though, as someone who grew up in Charleston, I wouldn't wish MUSC as the only in-state option on my worst enemy
Assuming you also have strong extracurricular activities to boost your GPA and DAT scores you should get in anywhere you apply.
I know UCLA is big into research and looks for applicants who did at least a year of research in undegrad.
I know UCLA is big into research and looks for applicants who did at least a year of research in undegrad.
.Assuming you also have strong extracurricular activities to boost your GPA and DAT scores you should get in anywhere you apply.
I know UCLA is big into research and looks for applicants who did at least a year of research in undegrad.
Last edited:
S
schmoob
I think you are missing the point. With a 4.0 and 24 DAT, you're going to get into plenty of schools, so stop stressing about it. Re-read Steve's post to you, don't be so hyper focused on grades.That's good! How is TS viewed vs AA
You've already proven that you have what it takes to meet the academic demands for dental school, so now it's time to move on and focus on the other aspects of your application. Listen to his guidance!
Next, I will tell you there are VERY smart folks in dental school. I have seen people make fantastic grades and "do all the right things." But for some of them, all they know how to do is be professional students. When it comes to actually LEARNING about the field, discovering many of the intricacies of the profession, learning how to connect the dots instead of reciting back text is where many fall short. Strong academic performance does not have always have a direct correlation with strong performance as a dentist. It may, it may not. But you need to start thinking outside the box because that is what will be required of you once you're in school, and definitely in practice.
.I think you are missing the point. With a 4.0 and 24 DAT, you're going to get into plenty of schools, so stop stressing about it. Re-read Steve's post to you, don't be so hyper focused on grades.
You've already proven that you have what it takes to meet the academic demands for dental school, so now it's time to move on and focus on the other aspects of your application. Listen to his guidance!
Next, I will tell you there are VERY smart folks in dental school. I have seen people make fantastic grades and "do all the right things." But for some of them, all they know how to do is be professional students. When it comes to actually LEARNING about the field, discovering many of the intricacies of the profession, learning how to connect the dots instead of reciting back text is where many fall short. Strong academic performance does not have always have a direct correlation with strong performance as a dentist. It may, it may not. But you need to start thinking outside the box because that is what will be required of you once you're in school, and definitely in practice.
Last edited:
I am tutoring and doing research now as well as shadowing/interning at my dentist's office to help out. UCLA would be a dream school
That's good to hear that you seem to be a well balanced applicant. You should have a very good shot at getting into all the schools you apply to. If UCLA is your dream school I would call the school to see if there is anything you can do in addition to what you've already done to further increase your chances for that interview.
Every school has specific things they are looking for. E.g. WesternU really values students who have volunteered their time in undeserved communities. So learning what separates each dental school is very important.
.That's good to hear that you seem to be a well balanced applicant. You should have a very good shot at getting into all the schools you apply to. If UCLA is your dream school I would call the school to see if there is anything you can do in addition to what you've already done to further increase your chances for that interview.
Every school has specific things they are looking for. E.g. WesternU really values students who have volunteered their time in undeserved communities. So learning what separates each dental school is very important.
Last edited:
thank you! I have one more question. Is there any chance I can get in on any dental schools cycle for this year meaning I would enter dental school in 2018 because I saw that some schools have deadlines like 2/1? I would have all the pre-reqs finished and probably like 100 credits. It would actually be a huge financial help if I was able to dot that
I am not sure if there is a chance that you could get in this cycle but even if you could I would advise against it. Schools have already sent out the majority of their acceptances and if you were to apply there would be far fewer openings than if you were to apply as close to June 1st as possible.
You run the risk of not getting any interviews and when you apply again you would have to say that you already applied once which probably doesn't look the best.
Just my two cents.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think so, but I just wanted to clarify that if you apply now that's to enter dental school in July/August 2017 not 2018.thank you! I have one more question. Is there any chance I can get in on any dental schools cycle for this year meaning I would enter dental school in 2018 because I saw that some schools have deadlines like 2/1? I would have all the pre-reqs finished and probably like 100 credits. It would actually be a huge financial help if I was able to dot that
2018 is the people that apply this upcoming summer.
Edit: so, apply early in June and you'll start DS in 2018
D
deleted678432
Guys, I am really hoping I can get into UCLA to the point where I can't stop thinking about it. I am OOS so I'm very worried. If I have about 80-100 shadowing hours, and about 80-100 community service hours from various club activities with volunteer events, tutoring for this semester and my last 2 semesters, reseArch for 2 semesters, and then for my last 2 after I apply, I also worked at admissions office and I took all science classes pretty much. Like microbio, a&p, orgo, cell and molec, and research in one semester(most semesters had a lot of science classes) and I'm taking histo, immuno and genomics next year after I apply. Do you think this along with my gpa and dat will give me a great chance to UCLA? I can't stop thinking about it. Thank you!!
Relax. What happens will happen, there's nothing more you can do about it but wait.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
.Relax. What happens will happen, there's nothing more you can do about it but wait.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
Guys, I am really hoping I can get into UCLA to the point where I can't stop thinking about it. I am OOS so I'm very worried. If I have about 80-100 shadowing hours, and about 80-100 community service hours from various club activities with volunteer events, tutoring for this semester and my last 2 semesters, reseArch for 2 semesters, and then for my last 2 after I apply, I also worked at admissions office and I took all science classes pretty much. Like microbio, a&p, orgo, cell and molec, and research in one semester(most semesters had a lot of science classes) and I'm taking histo, immuno and genomics next year after I apply. Do you think this along with my gpa and dat will give me a great chance to UCLA? I can't stop thinking about it. Thank you!!
Serious question? Why do you want to go to UCLA so badly if you're OOS? It's very difficult to get in there as an OOS student
Serious question? Why do you want to go to UCLA so badly if you're OOS? It's very difficult to get in there as an OOS student
Also, UCLA is very research focused is that something you are interested in?
.Serious question? Why do you want to go to UCLA so badly if you're OOS? It's very difficult to get in there as an OOS student
Last edited:
.Also, UCLA is very research focused is that something you are interested in?
Last edited:
Yep I explained in my last reply
You definitely have the stats to get in but just realize that 85% of the entering class is In-State. Be realistic in terms of your application and make sure you do research on other schools.
In 2015-2016 669 OOS students applied 12 got interviews and 8 were accepted.
.You definitely have the stats to get in but just realize that 85% of the entering class is In-State. Be realistic in terms of your application and make sure you do research on other schools.
In 2015-2016 669 OOS students applied 12 got interviews and 8 were accepted.
Last edited:
D
deleted678432
If I may ask, what do you mean by be realistic in terms of your application? Also, I don't mind if 85% is in-state. I have looked at some other schools but few have what I see in UCLA
That means don't set your bar so high as a school that's the most applied to in the country, a top 3 dental school, and is very OOS unfriendly. Dream all you want man, UCLA is my #1 choice in my application cycle, but don't dream so hard and narrow minded that you're hurt if you end up having to go to a different school.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted678432
I've met many specialists and none of them have a) gone to the same school as one another, or b) gone to UCLA. You can specialize from anywhere man, just put our nose to the grindstone.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You definitely have the stats to get in but just realize that 85% of the entering class is In-State. Be realistic in terms of your application and make sure you do research on other schools.
In 2015-2016 669 OOS students applied 12 got interviews and 8 were accepted.
Can't emphasize this more. Look at this stat and ask yourself is it practical to expect to get into a school that interviews 12 people out of 669?
I'm always about optimism, but only in healthy doses. Please don't have the mindset of UCLA or bust. Until you've actually visited the school, you will never know how much you really like it. I've learned that lesson especially this cycle. My #1 school has changed throughout the process as I've gone to interviews.
S
schmoob
Dude your stats are through the roof. You will get into a very selective program. Relax, your hard work will be recognized and rewarded.If I may ask, what do you mean by be realistic in terms of your application? Also, I don't mind if 85% is in-state. I have looked at some other schools but few have what I see in UCLA
Keep up the hard work and determination in dental school and I'm confident you will get to where you want to be.
to the point where I can't stop thinking about it
I'm very worried.
I can't stop thinking about it.
I only see one problem here, and it has nothing to do with your credentials. Do you think you might benefit from speaking with a therapist?so I got a while to worry
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your stats are pretty low, you should switch to Pre-med
.I don't know where you stand right now, but I would consider applying now to the few schools that are still taking applications, you might save a year if you're ready with all the prereqs....
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 3K