Chances- 2.88 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephanopolous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll take the MCAT next August and plan on spending May-August studying 7 days a week for it.

About me:

28 year old hispanic female (does race and sex matter? I've heard yes and no)
Paramedic x 4 years, volunteer EMT for 2 years before that, 6 years total in EMS
Awards x 2 for paramedic/provider of the year.
Chief Scribe x 4 years, x 1 year for two hospitals
Volunteer lab instructor for EMT-intermediate and EMT-basic students x 2 years
Made Dean's and President's lists for a few semester's of undergrad- graduated paramedic program with 3.9 GPA

I haven't calculated my sGPA yet- still working on a good GPA calculator- the one I found for my cGPA was through the university of Indiana's website.

I worked full time through undergraduate, paramedic, and post graduate classes. Currently in organic chemistry I with lab, anticipating a B in the class.

My plan is to apply DO broadly, I'm still researching schools but NECOM is a definite since they like to see at least 2.7GPA.

Any advice or predictions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Stephanie

Members don't see this ad.

There is a GPA calculator on SDN. In fact, there are 2 of them I believe.

As far as your chances go, you'd be a long shot below 3.0. Just because NECOM likes to see at least a 2.7 doesn't mean that they'll take your app seriously.

Gender doesn't matter, but being a URM does. However, your GPA is not very encouraging, and medical schools would do you no favors by admitting you if you haven't shown you can handle the curriculum.

Suggest, if possible, re-taking any F/D/C science coursework. Does wonders for the GPA. Get the cGPA and sGPAs >3.0 and you'll be fine.

I'll take the MCAT next August and plan on spending May-August studying 7 days a week for it.

About me:

28 year old hispanic female (does race and sex matter? I've heard yes and no)
Paramedic x 4 years, volunteer EMT for 2 years before that, 6 years total in EMS
Awards x 2 for paramedic/provider of the year.
Chief Scribe x 4 years, x 1 year for two hospitals
Volunteer lab instructor for EMT-intermediate and EMT-basic students x 2 years
Made Dean's and President's lists for a few semester's of undergrad- graduated paramedic program with 3.9 GPA

I haven't calculated my sGPA yet- still working on a good GPA calculator- the one I found for my cGPA was through the university of Indiana's website.

I worked full time through undergraduate, paramedic, and post graduate classes. Currently in organic chemistry I with lab, anticipating a B in the class.

My plan is to apply DO broadly, I'm still researching schools but NECOM is a definite since they like to see at least 2.7GPA.

Any advice or predictions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Stephanie