Chances??..3.2 gpa 21 Dat 23 Ts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dandan94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a senior bio major Stony Brook and currently have a low gpa.... 3.2 overall...like a 2.8 science...(I have a year to get those up, im taking mostly science credits)
DAT :
PAT: 18
QR: 19
Reading: 18
Bio:23
Gen Chem:21
Orgo:25
TS: 23
AA: 21

I also have 2 years of independent research. I was the treasurer of club lacrosse. I have some shadowing and volunteering hours, and I worked as a dental assistant in a dental office my freshman year of college. Im taking a year off to get a masters in biological sciences. As a senior what else can I do to increase my chances. And what are my chances overall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm your GPA definitely puts you in a tougher spot, but it's still doable. You have to kill your masters for sure (3.8+). Also get your shadowing/volunteer hours up. DAT is good, but because of your GPA and lower PAT and reading score I would consider rewriting (aim for a 23+). If you can do all of those you will increase your chances significantly.

Dont worry about anything else but getting all A's the rest of the year. You might not even need the Masters if you manage to get all A's for your last year of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your DAT is very good, especially the high scores in the science categories. I don't know that I would spend the money on a Masters program quite yet. I'd apply next spring and see how it goes, then, if needed, start a post-bac (informal probably) 2nd semester next year. Boost your shadow and volunteer hours before you graduate as well. This assuming you will get good LOR's and can put together a good PS.

Im a senior bio major Stony Brook and currently have a low gpa.... 3.2 overall...like a 2.8 science...(I have a year to get those up, im taking mostly science credits)
DAT :
PAT: 18
QR: 19
Reading: 18
Bio:23
Gen Chem:21
Orgo:25
TS: 23
AA: 21

I also have 2 years of independent research. I was the treasurer of club lacrosse. I have some shadowing and volunteering hours, and I worked as a dental assistant in a dental office my freshman year of college. Im taking a year off to get a masters in biological sciences. As a senior what else can I do to increase my chances. And what are my chances overall.
If you get 3.6+ GPA overall on your masters degree then Id say your chances are excellent for when you apply. Your chances at this point arent good but not necessarily very bad either, b/c your extracurriculars look great and if you applied widely(15+) and to the right schools I wouldnt be too surprised if you got into at least one place. But currently what killing your chances the most is that sciGPA, gotta get that up.