WAMC GPA 3.9, AA 24, TS 23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trox

Reaction score
Curious if there are any other schools that anyone would like to recommend for my list. Thank you in advance for your time!

Date of submission: June 1st; Verified June 16th
Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA:24, Bio 22, GChem 21, Orgo 30, Reading 24, Math 22, PAT 19, TS 23
State of Residence: Maryland

Undergrad Attended: University of Maryland, College Park
Major: Microbiology
Minor: General Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 165 Hours. 50 pediatric, rest general. 5 total dentists shadowed
Volunteering Experience: 200 hours - free tutoring to elementary, middle, high school students
Employment: Dental assistant - 1200 hours (started since 2022 and will continue through gap year. Main dentist graduated from UMD, currently on Dean's Faculty an teaches clinical lab)
associate scientist (at a biopharm) will continue through gap year but anticipated over 1,000
Research: 640 hours - Gemstone honors research group (poster presentation) + various awards (Mentor also a PI at UMD Dental School)
750 hours as a research assistant in a microbiology lab (tons of lab experience and worked with an oral bacteria characterizing metabolism).
Other Extracurriculars: Resident assistant - since my sophomore year (estimated 1,200 hours due to working overnight on call shifts)
Teaching Assistant - Accounting 1 and 2 (160 hours for 2 semesters)
Teaching Assistant - Anatomy and Physiology 2 (512 hours for 4 semesters)
Teaching Assistant - Financial Literacy (500 hours for 4 semesters)
DATBooster content writer (200 hours) making review materials and study guides for organic chemistry
Involved with the pre-dental club and pre-professional academic society at college
Other various hobby clubs (chess, archery, weightlifting)
Relevant Honors or Awards: 2 UMD research awards (award winnings around $1000 and $2000) for Gemstone research
LOR type and strength: 3 Professors (All either TA for or research assistant), 2 Dentists(after assisting with them), 1 from resident director (was my supervisor as an RA). All strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A
School list:

-UMD
-Midwestern IL
-Harvard
-Columbia
-UPenn
-VCU
-UPitt
-Buffalo
-UConn
-UMich

Members don't see this ad.

Stats wise you should be fine, you do have a lot of state schools but given everything you should be a decent contender for most if not all of them. I'm only seeing 1-2 safety schools on your list which feels like you're putting all your eggs in one basket. Just keep that in mind - Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, UMich are not shoe-ins nor a guaranteed interview with your stats but you'll certainly pique their interest.

If you had to add any safety schools, which I don't really think you do, Temple, Case Western, BU, UNE are some that come to mind

As for your letters, I'm assuming it's a committee packet as you only get a max of 4 that can be added.

Start interview prepping for schools now that you've submitted. With your stats you'll certainly get some bites so while you look great on paper you also wanna shine in the interview as well. Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Stats wise you should be fine, you do have a lot of state schools but given everything you should be a decent contender for most if not all of them. I'm only seeing 1-2 safety schools on your list which feels like you're putting all your eggs in one basket. Just keep that in mind - Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, UMich are not shoe-ins nor a guaranteed interview with your stats but you'll certainly pique their interest.

If you had to add any safety schools, which I don't really think you do, Temple, Case Western, BU, UNE are some that come to mind

As for your letters, I'm assuming it's a committee packet as you only get a max of 4 that can be added.

Start interview prepping for schools now that you've submitted. With your stats you'll certainly get some bites so while you look great on paper you also wanna shine in the interview as well. Good luck this cycle!
Thank you for the reply! Yes, it's a committee packet. I wish I could add temple or BU but I am using AP Chem credit for general chemistry 1 which puts me out of their consideration. I do have 2 semesters of biochem but I don't think they count that as a chem upper level do they?

Either way, I will look into the schools you listed and will be doing interview prep. Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! Yes, it's a committee packet. I wish I could add temple or BU but I am using AP Chem credit for general chemistry 1 which puts me out of their consideration. I do have 2 semesters of biochem but I don't think they count that as a chem upper level do they?

Either way, I will look into the schools you listed and will be doing interview prep. Thanks so much!!!
Gotcha gotcha, yeah it's school dependent. I think you could maybe argue that biochem is an upper division of chemistry since it is still a subtype of chemistry but that's for each admissions representative to determine. But honestly, it would never really hurt to ask and some schools do make exceptions.

But regardless, your app is strong I'm just trying to offer advice to "cover the spread" but you should still get plenty of hits from schools on your list

Curious if there are any other schools that anyone would like to recommend for my list. Thank you in advance for your time!

Date of submission: June 1st; Verified June 16th
Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.83
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.79
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:24, Bio 22, GChem 21, Orgo 30, Reading 24, Math 22, PAT 19, TS 23
State of Residence: Maryland

Undergrad Attended: University of Maryland, College Park
Major: Microbiology
Minor: General Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 165 Hours. 50 pediatric, rest general. 5 total dentists shadowed
Volunteering Experience: 200 hours - free tutoring to elementary, middle, high school students
Employment: Dental assistant - 1200 hours (started since 2022 and will continue through gap year. Main dentist graduated from UMD, currently on Dean's Faculty an teaches clinical lab)
associate scientist (at a biopharm) will continue through gap year but anticipated over 1,000
Research: 640 hours - Gemstone honors research group (poster presentation) + various awards (Mentor also a PI at UMD Dental School)
750 hours as a research assistant in a microbiology lab (tons of lab experience and worked with an oral bacteria characterizing metabolism).
Other Extracurriculars: Resident assistant - since my sophomore year (estimated 1,200 hours due to working overnight on call shifts)
Teaching Assistant - Accounting 1 and 2 (160 hours for 2 semesters)
Teaching Assistant - Anatomy and Physiology 2 (512 hours for 4 semesters)
Teaching Assistant - Financial Literacy (500 hours for 4 semesters)
DATBooster content writer (200 hours) making review materials and study guides for organic chemistry
Involved with the pre-dental club and pre-professional academic society at college
Other various hobby clubs (chess, archery, weightlifting)
Relevant Honors or Awards: 2 UMD research awards (award winnings around $1000 and $2000) for Gemstone research
LOR type and strength: 3 Professors (All either TA for or research assistant), 2 Dentists(after assisting with them), 1 from resident director (was my supervisor as an RA). All strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A
School list:

-UMD
-Midwestern IL
-Harvard
-Columbia
-UPenn
-VCU
-UPitt
-Buffalo
-UConn
-UMich
did you volunteer/shadow/attend events at UMD d school?

You should be fine, but I would regionally consider the Philly schools (add Temple to Penn) and Pitt (you have) instead of UConn (OOS) and Midwestern Illinois (OOS). Practice interviewing... I would presume you have at least the home team (Maryland).

You should be fine, but I would regionally consider the Philly schools (add Temple to Penn) and Pitt (you have) instead of UConn (OOS) and Midwestern Illinois (OOS). Practice interviewing... I would presume you have at least the home team (Maryland).
Agreed and yes, been doing tons of prep right now for interviews and just submitted their secondary for UMD and it's a top choice. Thank you for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 users
Their open house this spring.
good
your list (10 schools) would be a little long with your stats, but you do have 3 ivies and umich on there (plus uconn can be tough too)
umd should obviously be your top choice
i agree that you should be working on interview prep...

Reactions: 1 user